The 2014 Talent Among Us Competition was held February 15, 2014
Show us your talent, win up to $900, and appear at a symphony concert!
The 11th Annual Talent Among Us is a talent show featuring vocal and instrumental performers living right in our region! The Grand Prize Winner has the potential to take home $900, as well as appear at a Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra concert. Got what it takes? Apply now and let's discover the Talent Among Us!
Mission and Objective
The mission of the Talent Among Us competition is to provide a venue for regional emerging musical artists to showcase their talent and encourage them to continue to develop their musical talent. The competition's objective is to provide a meaningful and competitive talent contest which will attract a significant local audience, qualified judges, and local/regional business sponsors willing to fund the event. Talent will be recruited from area schools and colleges as well as local adult performers.
Dates to remember
- October 31, 2013 - Entry Forms Due Extended to Nov 8th.
- November 16-17, 2013 - Auditions held each day from 1:00-5:00 pm at Rammelkamp Chapel
- February 15, 2014 - TAU competition, 7:00 pm, Rammelkamp Chapel
- March 22, 2014 - the 2014 TAU winner performs with the JSO
- Youth (6-9 years)
- Junior Youth (10-13 years)
- Senior Youth (14-17 years)
- Adult (18+ years)
- First Place in Each Category, as chosen by the judges, wins $200.
- Second Place in Each Category, as chosen by the judges, wins $100.
- People's Choice Award, given to the single contestant receiving the most audience votes, wins $200.
- All winners from each category are also eligible for the Grand Prize of $500. The Grand Prize winner may also be invited to perform and/or be recognized at the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra concert on March 22, 2014!
View the full 2014 competition rules
- Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
- Contestants must qualify for TAU competition at audition time.
- Contestant will be disqualified if audition time is missed.
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
- Audition pieces should be no more than 6 minutes in length.
- Contestants are responsible for accompanying music.
- Accompaniment must be live (no recordings accepted).
- Contestants will agree to the use of their name and photo for publicity purposes.
- Flash photography during the auditions or competition is prohibited.
- Recordings/tapings are allowed unless they interfere with the performers, judging, or audience enjoyment.
- Previous Grand Prize winners are not eligible to compete in subsequent competitions.
- Contestants are expected to show proper respect for other contestants, dress appropriately, appear on time, attend rehearsals and exhibit the demeanor that will contribute to the enhancement of the competition and the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra.
The Talent Among Us contest was organized in 2001 by the Guild of the Jacksonville Symphony Society. Originally envisioned as a fund raising event, to be held every three years, the competition attracted a loyal following of volunteers willing to help organize the event, a constant supply of local individuals interested in showcasing their talent, and a significant local business sponsors to help fund the awards and other expenses. The event was well attended by a loyal group of local supporters who appreciate the performing arts as well as attracting families and friends of the competitors. While not a significant fund raiser, the event was able to consistently cover all expenses and provide modest funds to support the Symphony.