Our summer program provides research experiences for undergraduate students in areas of ecology (streams, plant communities, soils) and evolution (plant-pollinator interactions).
We study the tropical rainforest of Puerto Rico at various levels of organization, ranging from genes to ecosystems. Field research is conducted at El Verde Field Station, in El Yunque National Forest.
Our goal is to promote a scientific foundation for students, by:
- Immersing students in an active research environment.
- Providing students with the opportunity to study and conduct research in an ecosystem and culture not easily accessible at their home institution.
- Providing educational activities designed to equip students with the necessary tools to conduct scientific research.
- Providing guidance from established scientists while they develop an independent research project.
This is a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program funded by the National Science Foundation and the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus.
Students work on a research project under the advice of a faculty mentor. Students also participate of seminars and workshops on data analysis and presentation, and scientific techniques (e.g., stream studies, population measurements). An ethical component is focused on issues likely to be encountered by students in their careers and discussions on the role of scientists in society. Overall, our goal is to positively impact student careers by providing them with the tools needed to conduct scientific research in any area of science, with emphasis on Tropical Ecology and Evolution, and by stressing the impact that scientists could have in our society if they take active roles.
In general, the program runs from the first week of June until the first week of August. To complete the 10-week program, the program sometimes starts at the end of May.
For summer 2016 the dates are: May 30 - August 5
- There is no cost for participating students.
- The student will receive a stipend of $5,250 for the ten weeks duration of the program.
- Round-trip plane ticket from your home institution to Puerto Rico will be reimbursed, up to a maximum of $600.
- The program will cover housing at El Verde Field Station.
- Students prepare their own meals and a food allowance is provided to cover the cost of groceries.
At this point, we can only enroll US citizens and permanent residents.
For additional information, please check our FAQ section