All devices on a network have 4 bytes IP address (eg. 126.96.36.199) which helps to identify them on the network. There are two types of IP address that a system can have based on how it obtains them.
1. Static IP:
It is configured by your system administrator and the configuration is persistent.
2. Dynamic IP:
It is assigned by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) automatically from a pool of IP addresses when your computer connects to the network.
After the networking upgrade in Biological Sciences building all computers will require that it obtain its IP address automatically from the DHCP server. This guide will help you to configure your system so that it works with the new network.
To configure your computer to dynamically obtain its IP:
1. Locate the Network icon at the right hand side of the task bar.
2. Click on the Network icon.
3. Then Click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
4. Find your current Network and click on Local Area Connection beside the Ethernet Cable icon.
5. The Local Area Connection Status dialog box should open up. Find Properties button and Click on the Properties button.
6. It opens up the local Area Connection Properties dialog box. Find from the list of connection items under This connection uses the following items the item that says Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
7. Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to select it.
8. Then Click on the Properties button.
9. The Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog box should open up. Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons. It will grey out the boxes present in the dialog box.
10. Click the OK button to save the changes.
11. Click the Close button in Local Area Connection Properties dialog box to close it.
12. Click on the Close button in Local Area Connetion Status to close the dialog box.
You can now browse the internet or send print jobs to your printer as you did previously. If you have difficulty getting your computer on the network please contact us.
If you followed our instruction and got your computer to connect to the network submit the form below.