posted Sep 4, 2012, 4:57 PM by Michael McGregor
If you are a MAC user please go to the link http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp to download the latest version of Java.
IMPORTANT COMPUTER SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT!
A new and significant security risk with Java software has been discovered. This vulnerability allows any website to download information that can be harmful to your computer without you doing anything.
To determine if you are impacted please go to the following website http://zulu.zscaler.com/research/java_version.html. This website will not ask for any information from you, but will simply check your computer to see if your computer has the version of Java that is problematic.
A screen similar to the screenshot below will appear and it will automatically check your computer. It takes a few minutes for it to run the check to verify if you are vulnerable or not.
If the program says that you are NOT vulnerable (indicated by a green No), you do not need to take any additional steps.
If the program says that you ARE vulnerable (indicated by a red YES) it is critical that you update your Java software immediately.
On Windows computers, follow these steps to correct the problem and update your Java software:
- Close the Zscaler website and return to your Windows desktop
- Click the Start button (the button with the Windows icon at the far bottom left of your screen)
- Click on Control Panel from the list that pops up
- Click on Uninstall a program or Programs and Features
- A alphabetical list of all the programs on your computer will appear. Scroll down to the Java line and select it. (Specifically, you are looking for anything other than version 7).
- Click Uninstall directly above the list in the heading. If you have more than one version listed, please remove all versions that are not version 7.
- Go to this link and download the latest version of Java and install it.