Operation Sunbug




March 31, 2016
We are trying to decide what project idea to go with. When we all got on google classroom we had 104 comments on what project idea to do. Ms. Gurney came on and gave us a bunch of good ideas. We didn't decide on what to do but we had a really good discussion about ideas.


April 1, 2016
On that day we narrowed it down to a few projects to do but we still couldn't decide! We had a lot of great ideas for our project.


April 2, 2016
This was the day we decided on a project to do. We all got on google classroom that night and had a discussion on what we are going to do. The majority of us decided to put a box filled with sunscreen and bug spray at the island. Then we had other ideas about putting it on the ring around the island where people walk and run.


April 3, 2016
On that day Cameron had another idea for where we should put the boxes. Cameron had the idea of putting boxes all around Emmett. We all knew it was a great idea. Of course when you have an idea you have to talk about what it will do, what it will look like, how will it work, if there are any laws or restrictions, and if it will cause any problems for anyone. So that's mostly what we talked about that day in class and in google classroom.



April 7, 2016
Www.weebly.com is blocked for our school. So Ms. Gurney is trying to help get it unblocked. We are working on figuring out if there are certain laws to putting boxes around Emmett. Matt is going to talk to his baseball coach to see if we can do it or if there are any restrictions on doing the project. He wanted to talk to him because his baseball coach is the head of the baseball board. (Wade Brown).


April 20, 2016
We are trying to figure out how to change the background on our website. Kenna has been gone for 2 days now so we are also catching her up. Ms. Gurney is coming over to talk to us right now. She is assigning jobs for us. For example, Karadyn and Cameron are doing the website. Kenna is drawing the prototype and Matt and Dane are working on 123D making the 3D prototype. Our group is working nice and smooth now that Ms. Gurney came over and talked to us. 


April 21, 2016
Building  our prototype out of cardboard boxes. Matt and Dane are trying to build our 3D design of the box. Kenna is drawing the prototype with the measurements and Cameron and Karadyn are building the snack shack. Mrs. Dutton is here today, too.


April 22, 2016 
We did not have math intervention today so we didn't get to meet this morning but we are meeting in reading intervention.During reading intervention everyone was working on something. Cameron, Karadyn, and Kenna were all trying to figure out how tall it should be. Since we don't want any little kids playing with it. We had some people duck down to what would be an average 5 year old's height and they tried to imagine where the box would be off the ground. We want to have it be tall enough so that little kids can't get into it and we want it short enough so that adults can get the bug spray or the sunscreen for them.
 

April 26, 2016 
Today we are working on building a prototype, and Karadyn and Cameron are building the snack shack. Kenna is drawing the dimensions of the box. We are all working very hard. Our field trip will be tomorrow, so we cannot work tomorrow, but Matt will finish it at home.


April 28, 2016
During math we got the box almost finished. We got a cardboard roof and also our hinge to make it open and close. It was made out of paper, duck tape, and cardboard. In math we also started building our post to put our box on. In reading we are finalizing our box and finishing our project.

May 2, 2016
In math we had a very good discussion about like if your group was having  team issues  and stuff  like that. Then, in reading we finished up our prototype. But also, we stayed in at exploratory and finished up our box plus sent the file to Mrs. Hopper so she can print it. The printing took 41 minutes and 23 seconds but that was just a mini  model of it. When it was done, it turned out but some of the pieces didn't. Mrs. Hopper says we need to thicken some of the pieces.


May 4, 2016
We have been enlarging our prototype over the days. We have gotten the enlarged lid but nothing else.


May 10, 2016
Today we are starting to get our final prototype done. We only have one more part of the post to print before we can attach all the posts together. Mrs. Hopper will print out our box and we will tell her the dimensions of the box so she can get the hinges so our lid can open and close.

May 11, 2016
We figured out that the printer got clogged with dust caused by overuse. So at that time by default the "Paws" won by default. By  2:00 Mrs. Hopper got it unclogged so we got our box printed. At the same time we were painting our lid blue.


May 12, 2016
That day in the morning we got our box and attached it to our post and then we presented to three judges our mayor, a retired teacher, and a teacher. After about an hour we got the results and we won by one point.

May 13, 2016
Today we were printing our box but we noticed that when it was done, the sides were uneven so we had to go back into tinkercad and make some changes to our box. We also spray painted our lid and practiced our presentation. After school the whole group went over to Cameron's house to work on table decorations and a few other things.


This is a time lapse of our first attempt.


IMG_0130.MOV