Online Learning Communities (OLCs) is a new area of learning experience. We are all familiar with the traditional role of instructor and student carried out in a classroom. We all have our own experiences of what worked for us and what did not. We may have had the elation of receiving a certificate followed by the question what happens next? Is the learning over? What if I am still no longer clear about the bits I understood and the bits I did not? How can I keep in touch?
The questions may be applied to all stages of life. Leaving school and entering work or further study, working and growing personally in your chosen area of life, then making the transition into well earned leisure time of retirement all have challenges that may be helped by community of learners. The challenge today is that of Life Long Learning. Online Learning Communities are a way to do this as you pass through the three ages of man.
Why have an Online Learning Community?
- To allow Life Long Learning Locally
- To allow mentorship by learners and teachers
- To allow access for people of all ages
These are the aims we want to meet
- To establish an Online Learning Community owned by local groups and individuals
- To provide access to tools and expertise for 21st Century Working and Learning
- To value all contributions from all members of the Ipswich Online Learning Community
- To encourage peer to peer learning to enhance work-life balance choices
- To eventually establish a not for profit Ipswich Online Learning Community as a social enterprise
What are the benefits for taking part in an Online Learning Community?
- To engage in a learning environment mould by it's members
- To become informed in the use of social media
- To have access and contribute to a pool of local knowledge and expertise
- To make contacts with other members of the community
What do we want to achieve in one years time:
- To have established a group that is self led and sustaining
- To have impacted upon members of the communities' skills to benefit work-life balance - increasing their happiness index
- To want to continue into the second year
What are we going to do?
- First establish a point of contact
- Provide a frame work for members to engage in informal Life Long Learning
Is the sky the limit? No!