Welcome to the art courses taught at WVHS by Katherine Steinbring. Each course is listed on the left drop down menu and includes links for AP Art History (APAH), AP Studio, Independent Art Portfolio, and Digital Photography I and II. I have also attached links below highlighting some of the current exhibitions at the Chicago Art Institute. Grab your friends and take a day trip (by train or car!) into the city and explore these marvelous events! If you look a bit farther down I have added some information about myself - fun facts and personal photos. :)
Waubonsie Valley High School
In the fall of 1975, WVHS opened its doors for its first school year. 293 Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors attended the new high school. The school was initially designed as an "open" campus, with very few walls to separate classes. This quickly changed and room dividers and walls were added. Major construction projects over the years added three large classroom wings, a field house and an auditorium, leaving few clues as to the original design of the building. Current population is approx. 2600 students and services Aurora and Naperville families.
CHICAGO ART INSTITUTE CURRENT EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
I'm Ms. Katherine Steinbring! I started teaching at Waubonsie Valley High School in the fall of 2000 after a 12-year career in the business field. I grew up in Ottawa, Illinois. My parents were both teachers. I have two younger sisters, two sons, 4 granddaughters, an English Mastiff named Sophie (10 years old) and a German Shepherd named KC (4.5 years old).
I have a BS from Illinois State University in Art Education and another BS in Studio Photography. My academic passions are art history, painting, and photography. I have a Master's Degree in Educational Administration from North Central College in Naperville.
I spend a lot of time with my family and travel as much as I can. I love fall festivals, antiques, shoes, NYC and teenagers (I know, crazy huh?) I prefer "educations" instead of "vacations" - which never went over too well with my sons when they were young. I've been very lucky as I get to share my passion for the history of art with my AP Art History students every day!
I love all artwork - even the work that makes you go....hmmmmmmm? When students ask me what my favorite era or style is I really can't narrow it down for them. However, I really like Northern Renaissance and Modern Art. Some of my favorite artists are Wassily Kandinsky - a Russian artist who created the first fully abstract painting, Vincent van Gogh - a Dutchman with a wild and vibrant color palette, Jan Van Eyck - details, details, details!, and Frida Kahlo - a German Mexican communist that painted tormented images of her reality. However...I love so much more! I guess I don't really have a favorite. :/
20 FUN FACTS
- My favorite colors are gray, green and black.
- Coffee/hot tea is necessary within the first 30 minutes of waking up.
- I am a strong believer in the power of being a female.
- I hate winter. If winter was warm (with snow) it would be awesome.
- I have a German Shepherd named KC and she is the sweetest human I know.
- Pets are family members - they provide unconditional love and should be treated with love.
- I am not religious - I practice the moral teachings of all religions. I was raised Lutheran.
- I love a good book. I prefer real books rather than reading on a tablet. There's something wonderful about turning the pages and holding a written text.
- I hate politics. However, I believe in voting and being informed.
- I don't play sports anymore or care about what's going on in pro sports.
- I think athletes and actors make way too much money.
- Technology makes us lazy.
- My first job was de-tasseling corn. I was 14.
- I don't like to walk barefoot.
- My favorite subject to teach is Art History.
- I love to sleep and I love my down comforter.
- Drama is a waste of time - let that s#&^ go.
- Be kind to people - be tolerant and understanding - show empathy. You don't know what others have gone through.
- The best job in the world is teaching.
- Favorite movie genre is horror and suspense films.