Welcome to my Driver Education Resource Page
We are all members of different communities. As with any community a person can be privileged enough to be a part of, there are responsibilities that must be understood and accepted. It does not matter whether the community is family, classroom, team, school, church, neighborhood, city, county, state, nation, or planet. We have the power and responsibility to make sure that the system feels our presence in a positive way.
In my class students will learn the knowledge and skills necessary to be a safe driver, develop thinking and perspectives to improve and empower themselves as members of many communities, and sharpen academic skills for future use.
Driver education at Neuqua Valley is a two phase program consisting of concurrent classroom and behind-the-wheel phases. A big advantage of this program format is that it allows students to learn in smaller bites of time spread out over a longer time frame. This allows for more seasonal driving opportunity with an instructor, less learning fatigue, and a better internalization of skills which creates the benefit of lasting, safe driving habits.
What goes around, comes around. You reap what you sew. You get out of life what you put into it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat others how you want to be treated. Pay it forward...
We all have the power to change (more than just ourselves).
Academics, work, family life, friendship, sports, driving.... No matter the task or the environment, energy and attitude are the currency we must invest to improve and prove who we are.
- The Power of Attitude
- Study Tip - Impact of Listening to Music on Cognitive Performance (Read carefully to see the truth, not just what you believe...)
Distracted Driving Prevention Resources
Neuqua in the News
Resources for Planning and Studying
- Introductory Home Driving Lessons
- Guide to BTW Maneuvers in print
- Guide to BTW Maneuvers animations
- "Dutch Reach," what is that? It could save you.
- Right of Way Flash Cards
- Signs Flash Cards
- Bike Safety - students select driver education and use class code 410016003 - Complete the bronze, silver and gold levels with a 100% score. Report to me when complete to receive your credit. I will give you extra credit for each parent that completes all three levels of the quiz using the same class code. All you will need to do is email me your parent's name when it has been completed. I have an online record of completion that can be checked at any time.
- Fun Parking Game - Helps improve understanding of the concepts of spatial awareness, path of travel, front end swing and tail swing.
- Unit 1 Lesson Calendar Spring 2019
- Unit 2 Lesson Calendar Spring 2019
- Unit 3 Lesson Calendar Spring 2019
- Unit 4 Lesson Calendar Spring 2019
- Study Guide for All Tests
Legal, Procedural & Licensing Resources
Respected Organizations and Movements
- Faces4 - Illinois Speed Awareness
- Mother Against Drunk Driving
- Operation Life Saver
- Think First - National Injury Prevention Foundation
- Give Them Distance - road side safety law for all motorists updated 2017 (sign the pledge)
- LifeGoesOn.com - As of Jan. 1, 2018 Illinois residents can become organ donors starting at age 16.
- Auto Club Group Traffic Safety Foundation
- Illinois High School and College Driver Education Association (IHSCDEA)
Most announcements will be made by way of Google Classroom. Students will sign up for google classroom using their school provided email and develop the responsible habit of checking that account regularly. This class is a team effort between the classroom teacher, driving instructor, parent, and student. Communication channels are always open in all directions.
At a moment in life when at the threshold of independence, there is excitement and trepidation for the journey ahead.
Remember you are never really alone or without support, even if you cannot always see it.