Hunter Elementary School and the Hunter Community were named for Edward Eugene Hunter, M.D. who secured the right-of-way for the railroad from Elizabethton to Mountain City.
In October 1927, the Carter County Board of Education purchased a four acre parcel of land from N.B. and Emma Howard at the cost of $800. The school was erected in 1928 at the cost of $1300. The original building was completely destroyed by fire in August 1937. A new structure, the "rock building", was built in 1937 with W.P.A. labor. During construction, the students were housed at three different locations: Hunter First Baptist Church; the old Post Office; and the Seventh Day Adventist Church, at the junction of Highway 91 and Little Stony Creek Road.
Two classrooms were added on 1953. The school population continued to grow, and six more classroom were added in 1960. In 1967, the Board of Education purchased three acres of land from R. L. and Brown Grindstaff for $10,000. A new gymnasium, library, five classrooms, storage rooms and two bathrooms were added in 1970.
The old rock building was torn down in 1975 and 3.87 acres of land were purchased from Edward and Eva Vandeventer for $20,500. Five portable buildings were purchased and placed behind the school on land purchased from R. L. Grindstaff. One portable building was purchased in 1993 for Head Start and one in 1994 to house Chapter Reading and Chapter Math. In 1999, construction began on six classrooms with shared bathrooms, a conference room and a storage room - making up our new Early Childhood Wing (Kindergarten and First Grades). Hunter School now has 24 classrooms in the main building with 1 classroom in a portable. We also have a gym, library, computer lab, cafeteria, resource class for grades K - 3, conference room, nurse's station, restrooms, storage rooms and offices. The portable buildings house the Head Start class, 2 CDC classes, Resource classes for grades 4 - 8, Speech Therapy/Chapter Reading and Math, Art, and Enrichment Class.
In the fall of 2000, a memorial garden was planted in the front of the building with funds raised by the students in memory of Mr. Jim Sammons, former P.E. teacher who died in the summer of 2000. In 2001, new playground equipment and an outside water fountain were added. Today, Hunter Elementary School serves the communities of Hunter, Lynn Valley, Blue Springs and Siam. Hunter maintains an average of 550 students.