My name is Jessie Anderson and I am so excited to be your child’s fifth grade teacher this year. This is my eleventh year at Hay Springs Elementary. I have a B.A. in Elementary Education from Chadron State College, a K-3 Math Specialist Certificate from UNL, and a Master of Arts in Education from UNL. When I’m not planning lessons or completing coursework, you can find me enjoying my daughters, Aubry and Megan, spending time with my husband, reading, gardening, or camping with my family.
I anticipate a very busy, enriching year with your child. I have high expectations for all my students, and hope that you will encourage your student at home by participating in all take home activities (i.e. homework, family activities, projects, etc.). I highly encourage parental involvement, as it enhances your child’s educational experience and keeps you well-informed to the goings-on in our classroom.
* Planners: Each child has been given a planner to use this school year. The planner will be used to communicate with you about your child’s behavior AND homework assignments. Parents are expected to check the planner each night and initial the planner. The planner should be returned to school every day.
* Assignments: Assignments are due each day during class unless there is not enough class time to complete the assignments. If this is the case then assignments are due the following morning at 8:00 am.
* Absences: If your child is going to be absent from school, please call the school office at 638-4434. Each child is allowed ten (10) absences per semester.
* Classroom newsletter: A classroom newsletter will be sent home with your student at least once a month. It will outline our learning goals and objectives, special events, class announcements, and other pertinent information. It is your responsibility to read this newsletter and to be responsible for the information contained within.
* Birthday treats: You are welcome to send in treats for your child’s birthday. Please make sure that there are enough to serve 19 students. It is helpful if I know in advance that you are sending them so that I can accommodate time for treats in our schedule. Thanks!
* Lunch: We will eat lunch from 11:30-12:00 every day. The students love when their parents eat lunch with them. If your schedule allows for it, join your child for lunch occasionally.
* Specials (2:00 – 3:00): Students will attend P.E., Music, Library, and Computer every week.
* Notes to the teacher: If you ever need to send me a note, please write it directly in your child’s planner on the day you would like me to see it. I will communicate with you the same way, and occasionally through email/phone calls. I also have set up a text message notification system which allows me to send out important information and reminders in a mass message. Please follow the direction on the enclosed sheet to join the group. Always discuss a change in transportation with your child and alert them to the note so that they are aware. It is your child’s responsibility to make sure all paperwork is delivered to me.
GOALS FOR SUCCESS
How You Can Help
Please feel free to contact me at any time. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can leave a message for me by calling 638-4434. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to check either during the day, and may not get to them until after the students have been dismissed. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience. Thank you for letting me spend the day with your children. Let’s make it a FABULOUS fifth grade year!
Ms. Jessie Anderson