Frequently Asked Questions

 Frequently Asked Questions

Abandoned/Junked Vehicles

How do I get an abandoned vehicle removed from my property?

As the Owner/Authorized agent of the property, you have a right to call the wrecker of your choice to have the vehicle towed away.  We suggest that you have signs posted warning of the parking violation.  If you have made every effort to find a wrecker to remove the car and cannot locate such wrecker, you may call the Hessmer Police for additional information to assist you. 

Child Restraints/Safety Seats

What is the law regarding child safety seats?

Children under 3 must be secured in a child restraint seat. Children 3-5 years old must be either in a child restraint seat or buckled up in the back seat. There are certain types of vehicles and situations exempted.
See Louisiana Revised Statutes 32:295. External web link not maintained by City of Baton Rouge

Community Services Safety Programs

What programs does Community Services offer the public?

Neighborhood Watch, Personal Safety, Schemes and Scams, Home Security Checks, Violence in the Workplace, Water Safety, Bicycle Safety, Officer Friendly, Dangerous Strangers and Gun Safety. Crimes Against the Elderly and the Elderly Crime Victim Assistance Program are also administered through our office.

How do I schedule a program for my organization, business or school?

Call the Hessmer Police Department. We ask that you give us two weeks notice, and have at least 25 people attending. We do not do programs on Friday afternoons or weekends.

Complaints Against Officers

How do I file a complaint against a police officer? 

If you have a complaint involving the actions of a Hessmer Police Officer, please contact the Hessmer Chief of Police office @ 318-563-4637 . The Chief of Police is responsible for investigating complaints made by the public regarding violation of Departmental Rules, Regulations, Policies or Procedures.

Crime Stoppers Rewards

How are Crime Stoppers rewards paid?

Callers are identified by a code number. If your information leads to an arrest and indictment, or the filing of a Bill of Information, you will receive a cash reward of up to $1,000, which will be paid through a designated bank without us ever knowing your name.

Criminal Background Checks

Employee Theft

What do I do if I have an employee stealing from me?

If you’re sure, gather all your supporting documents and evidence, then call the police and have an initial report made by a uniformed officer. Detectives will conduct the follow-up investigation. If you’re not sure, try to obtain additional evidence yourself first, possibly through use of a surveillance camera.

Forgery Victims

What do I do if I become the victim of a forgery?

If you find yourself the victim of a forgery, immediately make a police report, notify your financial institution and contact your local credit bureau.

What do I do if I receive notices from banks and merchants on my stolen/forged checks?

You will be instructed to obtain an Affidavit of Forgery and send copies to the businesses to let them know that you did not issue the forged check. An Affidavit of Forgery may be obtained from your bank or any Notary Public.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Police reports considered public record are available through the Hessmer Police Headquarters, 4142 Bodelon Street, during normal business hours. Their phone number is 318-563-4511. Copies of reports cost $10.00 for the first page and $1.00 per additional page. To expedite the process, you should supply the report file number. If you do not know it, provide the numerical address and the date/time of the incident. Requests may be faxed, mailed or made in person.  Copies of Traffic Accident reports are also available at the Hessmer Police Headquarters.  Two page reports are $10.00.  For more information, contact the Hessmer Police at 318-563-4511.

How to get a Restraining Order

Restraining Orders can be applied for through the
Avoyelles Parish Clerk of Court Family Violence Department. External web link not maintained by City of Baton Rouge

How to hire off-duty police officers

Can the Extra Duty Division get officers for details?

No. Officers are not assigned by the Hessmer Police Dept. We will post and/or fax flyers department-wide describing the detail, so that interested officers can contact you directly.  For more information contact the Hessmer Police at 318-563-4511.

What does it cost to hire an off-duty officer for security?

Officers negotiate their own rates. The minimum they are allowed to accept is $25 an hour. However, most details are now averaging $30+ an hour. There is no maximum rate limit.

Is there a minimum hours rule?

No, but an officer is free to set his or her own minimum hours.

What should I pay if I get an officer to handle the paperwork for the detail?

The department does not regulate administrative pay for an officer to handle bookkeeping, scheduling, etc. This is an agreement between the officer and the employer.

Do I have to submit any paperwork to the Police Department?

All officers must have prior approval before working any detail. Also, permanent details must submit a monthly summary of officers who have worked, the dates and hours worked, and the amount paid. Details of three months or less duration are considered one-time details and are exempt from this reporting requirement.

I locked my keys in my car. Can you send an officer to unlock it?

We can try, due to liability concerns the department will require you sign a waiver of any damages.

I lost my ticket and don’t remember my court date or the fine amount.

Call the Village of Hessmer City Hall ticket section at (318)563-4511.

How to pickup a Traffic Crash Report.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Copies of Traffic Accident reports are also available at the Hessmer Police Headquarters.  Two page reports are $10.00.  For more information, contact the Hessmer Police at 318-563-4511.

Missing Persons and Runaways

Do I have to wait 24 hours to report someone as missing?

No. If you feel the disappearance is of a suspicious nature, then you can and should report them missing immediately.

Under what circumstances are photos of missing persons released to the media?

Photographs of missing persons are generally given to the media if the missing person is very young, very old, has a life threatening medical condition, or if foul play is suspected.  Photographs of missing juveniles are never released without permission of the parents or guardians.  Most news media organizations will not broadcast or publish photographs of runaway juveniles, or adults who have voluntarily absented themselves.

Does The Hesssmer Police Department participate in the Amber Alert program?

Yes.  Louisiana's Amber Alert program External web link not maintained by City of Baton Rouge has very specific criteria for when the system may be activated.  When these criteria are met, The Hessmer Police Department will take the steps necessary to activate an Amber Alert.

Can a 17-year old be reported as a runaway?

No. A 17-year old is considered an adult, so they can not be considered by law enforcement as runaways.

My car was stolen

What should I do if my car has been stolen?

You should immediately contact the police department and make a report. It is extremely helpful if you can provide your vehicle’s year, make, model and license plate number, as well as any distinguishing characteristics such as damage, bumper stickers or customizations. You should also immediately contact your insurance company and notify them of the theft, as well as the police report number. If you later spot or locate your car, it is critical that you call police so that a recovery can be made. Otherwise, you may find yourself riding a car that is still reported on police computers as "stolen".

What is the likelihood that my stolen car will be recovered?

In Avoyelles Parish, our recovery rate for stolen vehicles is between 75-80%.

My home was burglarized

What should I do if I come home and find I’ve been burglarized?

Call the police immediately and make a report. While waiting for the officer to arrive, try not to touch anything the burglar(s) may have touched. Once the officer arrives, try to compile a list of items stolen, including serial numbers if possible. Photographs or videotapes taken of jewelry or other unique possessions are also extremely useful in possibly recovering your property. It’s also a good idea to contact your insurance company and notify them of the crime.

What are my rights as a homeowner if I catch someone burglarizing my home while I’m there?

You have the right to use deadly force against a person to prevent the unlawful entry into your residence or to compel the intruder to leave.

My friend was arrested

My relative or friend was picked up earlier and I need to know if he or she is in jail and what his or her bond is.

Call the Avoyelles Parish Prison at 318-253-4000.

My car was towed/impounded

Do you have my car?

To determine if the Hessmer Police Department has towed your vehicle, contact the our Department at 563-4511 during normal business hours.  We need a permanent license plate number or VIN (vehicle identification number) to check our records for any vehicle that has been impounded. 

How much does it cost to get my car out?

There is no charge from the Hessmer Police Department.  The Wrecker Service that towed the vehicle accesses fees.  We do not give out price quotes for the wrecker companies. 

What is the condition of my vehicle?

The Impound Office does not know the condition of the vehicles that have been impounded by officers in the field. 

Where is my vehicle?

The Hessmer Police Department contracts with Multiple Wrecker Companies. Contact the Hessmer Police for Information pertaining to a specific vehicle:

How do I get my car back?

If your vehicle is in "Official Storage" (meaning this vehicle was involved in a crime), you must bring Proof of Ownership, and a valid driver's license to the Hessmer Police Department to obtain a release. If the vehicle is not currently registered in your name, and it has been longer than the 20th day of the month following purchase, (e.g. vehicle purchased June 1st; you must pay your tax, title, and license fees by the 20th of July.  This is state law.)  You must get the car properly registered in your name before obtaining a release from the Hessmer Police Department.

If your vehicle was impounded for no proof of insurance, you must go to DMV to get a hold release letter.  The letter should then be taken to the Wrecker Company that holds your vehicle.  The "Hold" on your vehicle is by DMV, not the Hessmer Police Department.

If your vehicle was impounded for any other reason, go directly to the Wrecker Company to obtain release of your vehicle.

Nuisance Abatements

Do landlords have an obligation to keep their rental properties free from crime?

Yes. The Louisiana nuisance abatement law requires that landlords keep their property free of drug-related criminal activity, prostitution and crimes of violence. The penalty for failure to clean up property after notice is closure of the property for up to 5 years.  To institute nuisance abatement proceedings contact the Hessmer Police at 318-563-4637.


Police Vehicles

What makes police vehicles different from other vehicles?

Police vehicles are purchased from a select group of vehicles which are sold as "police packages". These cars often come equipped with heavy duty suspension, cooling and electrical systems, as well as larger engines.

Public Pickets

Is it legal to picket without a permit?

Yes. The First Amendment gives us that right. However, picketers cannot trespass on the property of others and they cannot obstruct traffic.

Sex Offenders

Convicted sex offenders are required to register with local law enforcement.  Louisiana State Police maintains a searchable database with photographs of all registered sex offenders External web link not maintained by City of Baton Rouge residing in Louisiana.

Teen Curfew Ordinance

How late can my teenager stay out with the curfew ordinance?

A juvenile (under 17) may not remain in a public place or on the premises of an establishment between 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., except on Friday and Saturday nights, when the hours are 1:00 a.m.-5:00 a.m. There are exceptions, however, including if the juvenile is accompanied by their custodian, is on a reasonable errand, is at, going to, or returning from, work, is involved in an emergency, or is attending certain specified, supervised activities

SelectionFile type iconFile nameDescriptionSizeRevisionTimeUser