How to Install Win 8 on a Samsung Slate 7
I chose to blow the existing Windows 7 installation. I'm only interested in Win 8 and the touch version of Win 7 is painful to use.
This page based on MosoLee notes:  
- Preparing a USB Stick (4 GB or greater) Format USB drive as FAT32 on a Win7/Win8 PC.
To do this open a Command Prompt, and type diskpart to get a DISKPART> prompt then perform the following actions in order:
- list disk //find USB device number
- select disk 1 //careful! select USB drive
- create partition primary
- select partition 1
- format quick fs=fat32 //UEFI can only USB boot to FAT32, not NTFS
- assign //In this example, USB mount point become F: when assigned.
Finally XCopy the files to the USB stick from your mounted ISO -- Here I'm copying H: files to F: --- xcopy H:\* F:\ /s /e
- Enter BIOS / Boot device menu
- My Slate has a Windows Start button. To boot into BIOS, start windows while holding the Windows Start key down.
To be precise: Shutdown the tablet (no sleep). Then while holding down the Start button, press/release the power button. Count 2 seconds and release the Start button.
- BIOS/Boot device menu appears. Select the "Enter Setup" item
(using Volume Up/Dn and Rotate buttons to navigate. Hold Rotate down to make Up/Dn act as Left/Right).
- In Bios enable the USB Legacy support -- This enables USB keyboard to work.
- Set BIOS setting "UEFI Boot Support" = Disable (You can enable this again after install. I didn't but it seemed to run just fine).
Interesting: I wasn't booting from the USB devise, so I Enabled UEFI and it booted, but then failed to reformat the disk. Went back to BIOS and Disabled UEFI again and this time I could boot from the USB device and install succeeded.
- In Bios you can change the boot priority to boot from the USB Stick (with Win8 install image) before the hard drive.
(but given my Slate has a boot device selection in the BIOS/Boot Device screen there is probably no point unless you get stuck).
- Boot from USB stick and install Windows 8
- Plugin USB drive to slate. Press and Hold Start button, then power up the slate. Release Start button after 2 seconds.
- You will see the BIOS/Boot Device menu. The USB stick should be at the top of the bootable device list. Select it and hit enter (or rotate button)
- When the PC reboots yank the USB stick.
If it boots into the USB Stick setup again just yank the USB stick and reboot. The Win 8 Setup will continue where it left off.
- Note that Windows 8 provides all drivers required by the Slate 7 tablet
(except the screen rotate stuff which you will need to get from SamSung -- See link below).
- Finally MosoLee says to re-enable the UEFI BIOS setting. I didn't bother. Runs fine. I'm assuming you could get startup a tad faster with UEFI enabled, but for me it's already very fast.