At Scotts Hill Elementary, we ROAR!!
Principal: Karin Eason
There has been a school operating on the present property since 1870. The first school teacher on the Scotts Hill Campus was Samuel P. Winston. Mr. Winston came to this area from Hickory, N.C. Local families provided living necessities for Mr. Winston to ensure their children at least a foundation in reading, writing, and math or arithmetic as it was called in those days. The first school was a one room log structure located behind the present day gym which was built in 1950.
In the late 1880’s a frame building was necessary and was also built where the present day gym and front entrance are now.
By 1895, interest had grown such that B. A. Tucker, teacher, helped to promote the need for a larger building. This led to a two-story building which also provided college level instruction as well as basic instruction. B. A Tucker served well and was well liked by the community and his colleagues. So after his death from most likely appendicitis, funds were quickly raised to commemorate his memory with a monument that still stands today close to the front entrance of the present school.
Micajah Scott came to the area in the late 1820’s to became the first merchant to add his name to his store location on the hill, and to give the town its name-Scotts Hill.