The University of Hawai‘i Maui College
inspires students to develop knowledge and skills in pursuit of academic,
career, and personal goals in a supportive educational environment that
emphasizes community engagement, lifelong learning, sustainable living, Native
Hawaiian culture, and global understanding.
envision a college where inspired learning develops knowledgeable,
skilled, and compassionate students, prepared to take on the emerging
challenges of their communities and the world through leadership,
problem-solving, and innovation.
Our Core Values
The faculty and staff of UH Maui College aspire to embody the following Core Values through their work serving the educational needs of students:
- Aloha – Affection, compassion, sympathy, kindness, grace, charity; to show kindness, mercy, charity.
- Kuleana – Right, privilege, concern,
responsibility, title, business, property, estate, portion,
jurisdiction, authority, liability, interest, claim, ownership; reason,
cause, function, justification.
- Lōkahi – Unity, agreement, accord, unison, harmony; agreed, in unity.
- Mālama – To take care of, tend, attend, care for, preserve, protect, beware, save, maintain: care, preservation, support, loyalty: custodian, care taker, keeper.
- Manaʻolana – Hope, confidence, expectation; to hope.
- Pono – Goodness, uprightness, morality, moral qualities, correct or proper procedures, excellence, well-being, prosperity, welfare, benefit, behalf, equity, sake, true condition or nature, duty; moral, fitting, proper, righteous, right, just, virtuous, fair, beneficial, correct; should, ought, necessary.
Our Institutional Learning Outcomes
To qualify for graduation, students demonstrate the following abilities at a level of rigor appropriate for their degree:
- Apply essential skills and knowledge of a technical or academic field to perform tasks, address challenges, and solve problems.
- Address social, environmental, or economic issues through work that exemplifies effective interaction in real-world situations.
- Integrate multiple perspectives and a broad context of understanding to interpret problems, issues, and artifacts.
- Write and speak effectively to convey ideas that meet the needs of specific audiences and purposes.
- Apply creativity and analytical thinking to convey ideas, address challenges, and solve problems.
- Solve problems utilizing mathematical models, methods, and effective quantitative reasoning.
- Find, evaluate, and share information effectively and responsibly.