These are the materials for the workshop "Writing a Literature Review," held at 12:30 pm, November 30, 2012 at UH Manoa (St. John 11).
This workshop presents an overview of the process of writing an academic literature review. After an introduction to the genre, participants will work together to plan and write a model literature review. The workshop will include guidelines for writing reviews of different types of literature and for different purposes, including term papers, SPs, and dissertations.
Participants should download materials from this site for use during the workshop (i.e., print them out or bring electronic copies). Read one of the three articles and be prepared to share what you read with other participants who have not read that article.
Please indicate which article you will read by adding your name to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkbUIoiuoKTZdFlmRllNVkh6UzVoQ2Q4V1gyYkZLN3c
For more information about literature reviews:
- UNC Chapel Hill guide to writing literature reviews (general): http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/literature-reviews/
- Purdue OWL guide to writing literature reviews in Social Work (appropriate model for social sciences in general): http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/666/01/
- Burton, J. (2011). Book review: Literature reviewing. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 10(1), 61-64. doi: 10.1016/j.jeap.2010.07.003 [review of 5 books about writing literature reviews]
- Dunkin, M. J. (1996). Types of errors in synthesizing research in education. Review of Educational Research, 66(2), 87-97.
- Feak, C. B., & Swales, J. M. (2009). Telling a research story: writing a literature review. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Kwan, B. (2008). The nexus of reading, writing and researching in the doctoral undertaking of humanities and social sciences: Implications for literature reviewing. English for Specific Purposes, 27(1), 42-56. doi: 10.1016/j.esp.2007.05.002 [research study of how doctoral students figured out what to cover in their dissertation literature reviews]