International Students

As an international student, you must complete and submit the following documents to the Admissions & Records Office by the application deadline below. Should you have any questions, please email the Admissions & Records Office at

  1. University of Hawai`i System Application.
  2. University of Hawai`i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants.
  3. Attach evidence of support in U.S. currency. You must show, personally or through a sponsor, that adequate financial support will be provided during your entire period of enrollment. Submit current bank and/or financial statements in U.S. currency.
  4. English Proficiency Tests:  Tests are required to have been taken within the last two years. Scores must be submitted directly from the testing services. Scores submitted by you will not be accepted.
    • TOEFL - 450 (PB) / 133 (CB) / 45 (iB)
    • IELTS - 5.0
    • Eiken / STEP - Grade 2
    • EXEMPTIONS: You are exempt from taking the test if:

      • Your native language is English and you are from Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the United States.
      • You have completed three years of high school education or 30 semester credits of college level work (30 transfer semester credits for the Associate in Arts degree program) from an accredited college or university in the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom or New Zealand.
      • You are transferring from an accredited college or university in the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom or New Zealand, and you have completed the equivalent of freshman level English with a grade of “C” or better.
  5. High school and college transcripts translated into English by either a school official or a U.S. consular official, mailed directly from the school(s) to our Admissions & Records Office. Transcripts submitted by you will not be accepted.
  6. Kaua`i Community College Health Clearances . Hawai`i State Law requires all students to meet examination and immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state. The Tuberculosis (TB) clearance must be issued by a U.S. licensed MD, DO, APRN, or PA and submitted prior to registration. The Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) record must be submitted with the University of Hawai`i System Application Form. For more information, please refer to Health Requirements.  [Optional:  KCC-Health Clearance Form]
  7. $25 non-resident application fee (nonrefundable, nontransferable).

Application Deadline

As an international student, you must submit the University of Hawai`i System Application Form and all required admission documents to our Admissions & Records Office by the following deadlines:

Fall semesterJune 1
Spring semesterOctober 1

Once all documents are received, an admissions decision will be made. If accepted, an acceptance letter and a Form I-20 will be mailed to you. You will need the Form I-20 to apply for a student VISA (F-1) through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your Country.

SEVIS Fee Requirement

Effective September 1, 2004, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a fee from new international students. The fee helps cover operational costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is a central computerized system that maintains and manages data concerning international students during their stay in the United States.

Effective October 27, 2008, the fee is increased to U.S. $200.00.

For complete information on who needs to pay the fee (or does not need to) see the SEVIS website at There is a complete list of questions and answers on all aspects of SEVIS I-901 fee payment.

Program Major Selection & Credit Load

Your selection of a program major is a very important decision and will determine your length of stay in the United States as well as your career goals. As an international student, you will be required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester toward your program.

Student Health Insurance

Before you may register for courses, you must demonstrate proof of enrollment in a health and accident insurance plan. This insurance is mandatory. The intent of this requirement is to protect international students against the high cost of unanticipated health care expenses resulting from accidents or illness. Additional information on student health insurance plans may be obtained from the Other Student Resources web site.

Housing & Transportation

The college does not maintain any dormitories or housing facilities. It is recommended that you make housing arrangements prior to your arrival on Kaua`i. Public transportation serving the island is limited. You will be responsible for arranging transportation to and from campus.