Licensure Requirements


The State of North Carolina requires that all public school educators hold a license for the
subject or grade level they teach. Licensed employees must meet both state and federal
licensing requirements to be employed.  
For more information visit 
NC Licensure Department-NCDPI.

NCDPI Online Licensure System

Apply online using the following link:  NCDPI Online Licensure

You should keep a copy of the entire license application packet to show proof of having applied

If you have any questions contact: 
Teresa Smith - 

Tutorials on using the New NCDPI Online Licensure System:  RALC Licensure Tutorial

Graduate Pay Qualifications

  • Completed a course towards degree by August 1, 2013
  • Course dates will be verified by DPI Licensure
  • Masters/Advance/Doctorate classification will still reflect on License area even if employee does not qualify for graduate pay
Information and Forms

Lateral Entry Information

Lateral entry allows qualified individuals to obtain a teaching position and begin teaching right away while obtaining a professional educator license as they teach. The NC DPI authorizes lateral entry professional educator licenses on a provisional basis in licensure areas that correspond to the individual's academic study. HCS considered lateral entry in all curriculum areas.

For more information on lateral entry -  NCPublic Schools - Lateral Entry 

Renewal Information

All Licenses that expire June 30, 2016, or later will follow these requirements:

*K-8 Educators – 8 CEUs

3 Content
3 Literacy
2 General (1 must be technology)

*9-12 Educators – 8 CEUs

3 Content
5 General (1 must be technology)