THINGS WE’VE RECENTLY ACCOMPLISHED AS A SCHOOL COMMUNITY
1) We have a sustainability committee with staff, parents, and other community members and are planning to expand to include student reps.
2) We started a composting program in which we save our food scraps and share them with a local farm.
3) Our school-wide recycling program is more comprehensive.
4) We now have a student sustainability group, the Green Lunchers.
5) Students have conducted a paper study to help the school switch to more sustainable paper instead of 100% virgin paper for copying/printing.
5) Heightened awareness through all school bulletin boards and all school activities such as Green Week, PSA’s, and a "Kick the Bottle Campaign" to reduce our use of single use plastic water bottles.
6) As a result of a student initiative, we have RMS water bottles and a RMS bottle refill station.
7) We’ve reduced paper use through making the default double-sided printing and we have print release stations. We have some paperless classrooms with eighth grade 1-1 program.
8) We’ve increased participation in our Bike/Walk to school events.
9) We hosted a neighborhood planning meeting for long-term plan for the neighborhood. Topics included character, traffic, maintaining green spaces, equity, justice, role of CRREL and Dartmouth in the area, role of schools, etc.
10) We’ve increased consideration of sustainable products with purchasing. For example, we switched to LED’s for three light poles outside when we needed to replace units. It will continue to be a practice in the future.
11) Staff members examined their own practices and challenged themselves to try something for a week last Earth Week. These pledges were publicly displaced for the school community.
12) We have new place-based experiences as part of the curriculum.
13) We have a leadership class for eighth graders.
14) Our School engages in community service initiatives through class efforts and student council.