Sign up for the San Diego Union-Tribune's Newspaper in Education (NIE) program to receive the digital Electronic Edition--"e-Edition"--of the newspaper for FREE
to use with students. The e-Edition is more than the general, public SignOnSanDiego
website--it is a digital replica of the printed, subscription newspaper. Students may flip through pages, skim headlines, and view articles and photos with the click of a button.
NIE e-Edition Features
- Search the e-Edition by keyword or browse by index.
- Access full e-Edition archive with content going back one full year.
- Translate text-mode articles to Spanish, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, or Russian.
- View articles in "print edition" format or as text-only.
- Download content in PDF format or share by e-mail.
Download content formatted for reading on an e-reader (mobile device, Kindle, Sony Reader, Nook, iPhone/iPod/iPad, or computer).
- Use the “Read Aloud” tool to listen to articles or download readings in MP3 format to listen to later.
- Create “e-notify” alerts to be e-mailed daily with news items that match your defined search terms.
- As a bonus, UltraStar movie theater coupons that appear in Friday papers can be downloaded and handed out to students in your classes.
Register for NIE
Sponsors of the NIE program make it possible for you to have free access to the e-Edition for your students. As a teacher, you must register for a username and password each school year. Your students will use this "class" username and password for classroom access.
Once registered, teachers and students can log in to access the e-Edition. The login information is the same for a teacher and his/her students. Multiple computers can simultaneously access the e-Edition. Links to the NIE e-Edition login page are available on the Virtual Library Learning Commons
, both on the Online Databases
page and the News and Media Links
NIE Teacher Resources