George L. Fenton, leading physician of Kingsley and proprietor of the splendidly equipped drugstore of that thriving little village, was ushered into existence June 8, 1857, on a farm in Noble county, Indiana. His parents, John and Eliza (John) Fenton, moved to Muskegon county, Michigan, when he was a little lad of six years, and five years later located in Wexford county on a farm about three and one half miles west of Manton. Here the father died, at the age of seventy years, and the mother again married, her second husband being the Elder A. L. Thurston, a Methodist Clergyman.
Young Fenton remained at home and assisted with the farm work, but he had a strong desire to enter the medical profession, and to this end he eaglerly devoured any and all bearing on the subject. At the age of twenty he took up the study in earnest and with such good success that in 1882 he opened an office at Walton. One year later, in 1883, he came to Kingsley, and has been in the practice of his profession ever since. He kept up his studies and was graduated from the Cincinnati Eclectic College in the class of 1893, but is even yet a close student and keeps closely in touch with all the latest discoveries and improved methods in the world of medicine. He has built up a large and extended practice and is alike kind and painstaking, whether his patient be from the higher or lower walk of life.
Dr. Fenton was married April 28, 1896, in Traverse City, Michigan, to Miss Anna Allen, a native of Wisconsin, and a lady of rare charm. They have one child Allen Lane, who is the pride of the family. The Doctor is a busy man, but finds time to take part in most of the enterprises of a public nature that are taken up in Kingsley. He is a member of the village council and village treasurer, and any movement to promote the good of the community is sure of his endorsement and support. He is a member of Strict Account Tent No. 602, Knights of the Maccabees .
For more material on the Fenton family please check out Pam Warren's blog at