Hands-on Workshop at the BCERP 13th Annual Meeting
Demystifying Biomedical Big Data: A User’s Guide
A one-day hands-on workshop offered at Georgetown University Medical Center
November 7, 2018
This one-day, in-person hands-on workshop offered to the BCERP 13th annual meeting attendees, will cover major concepts, methods and tools of translational bioinformatics and hands-on computer based exercises utilizing web-based bioinformatics resources - such as Georgetown Database of Cancer (G-DOC)- a unique translational research platform for connecting molecular and clinical data, the Universal Protein Resource, UniProt, and TCGA. Additional hands-on experience will be provided on systems biology level analysis of experimental multi-omics biomarkers discovery using pathway analysis tools.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to
- Understand current data generation technologies used in translational research
- Identify which tools and/or resources to use to perform specific bioinformatics analysis related to translational research
- Perform basic systems level analysis of large-scale multi-omics data
The workshop is open to all BCERP 13th annual meeting attendees.
Because space will be limited to 20 participants, applications to join the workshop will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Early registration is highly encouraged.
Participants are highly encouraged to complete our edX Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) “Demystifying Biomedical Big Data: A User’s Guide” prior to the workshop. This free online course is available on edX: https://www.edx.org/course/demystifying-biomedical-big-data-users-georgetownx-biox-201-01x-0
Use of computers
Computer workstations are provided; participants can bring their own wireless laptop if they wish (not required).
1. Introduction: Informatics platforms
2. BIG Data and Translational Bioinformatics
3. Gene Expression Analysis I with G-DOC applications (Hands-On)
4. Gene Expression Analysis II (microRNA profiling) with G-DOC applications (Hands-On)
5. Next Generation Sequencing: Exom-seq, ChIP-seq and RNA-seq applications (Hands-On)
6. Protein-Protein Interaction networks (Interactome) (Hands-On)
7. Bioinformatics of Genetics (SNPs & variations) (phenotypes & Diseases) (Hands-On)
8. Pathway analysis I (Hands-On)
9. Pathway analysis II (Hands-On)
10. Gene Network analysis (Hands-On)
Dr. Bassem Haddad: https://www.edx.org/bio/bassem-r-haddad-md
Dr. Yuriy Gusev: https://www.edx.org/bio/yuriy-gusev-phd
Dr. Peter McGarvey: https://www.edx.org/bio/peter-mcgarvey-phd
For questions, please contact Dr. Bassem Haddad