Elementary

Search web

HISTORY

compiled by Kenneth R.T.Perez
Carlos Lizama Taitano Element ary School was first established in 1958 as the Sinajana Elementary School. On September 27, 1970, the school was formally dedicated as the Carlos Lizama Taitano Elementary School, more commonly known as C.L. Taitano Elementary School. It was renamed by law to honor the public servant and civic leader. Although there is no annual founder’s day celebration in honor of Taitano, a color portrait and biography are prominently displayed in the main office of the school.

Taitano was born November 5, 1932 in Hagåtña, Gua m. He was the son of Carlos Flores Taitano and Joaquina Crisostomo Lizama. Carlos Taitano attended elementary school in the villages of Dededo, Hagåtña and Agana Heights and graduated from George Washington High School in 1952. He went on to earn a bachelors degree in finance from San Francisco State College on June 15, 1959.

Taitano married Virginia Juanita Lujan on November 28, 1957. During their twelve years of marriage, they raised five children named Carlos Jr., Maria Therese, Carmel Jeannine, Evangeline and William.

Taitano served a distinguished career as a Naval Supply Depot civil servant on Guam after taking Navy correspondence courses in financial management and education training from 1960 to 1961. He rose through the ranks beginning as a management analyst and becoming a director of Employee Management Relations and Services. He received special training in many different areas that helped him later on in his career as an educator, including personnel administration and management, oral and written communication, supervisory development, public works management, conference leadership and instructor training, and management methods.

Taitano served as an Infantryman in the U.S. Army from 1950-1953 with tours in Korea and Japan. He also served in the Army Reserve as the personnel specialist in the 351st Military Government Unit from 1954-1957.

He was active civically serving as a member and chairman of the Guam Territorial Board of Education (now the Guam Education Policy Board). He is credited with directing the crucial changeover of the board to an autonomous Department of Education (now the Guam Public School System) for all public schools.

Taitano founded the Guam Post No. 41 of the American Legion in Guam and was a member of the Guam Recreation Commission, the Sinajana Civic Improvement Club and the Sinajana Parent Teachers Association. He was inducted into the Phi Delta Kappa International – Guam Educators’ Hall of Fame on May 15, 1994.

Carlos L. Taitano died June 18, 1970, following a short illness at the age of 37.  (http://guampedia.com/namesake-school-c-l-taitano-elementary/)

The School:
C. L. Taitano Elementary School was originally constructed in 1957, and over the years structural problems has occurred. One major factor was the severe August 1993 8.2 earthquake created new and obvious infrastructure problems. The School, which the Department of Public Works indicated occupancy should not be inhabited due to structural problems which were exacerbated by the 6.1 and 5.3 earthquakes which occurred Sunday, December 19, 1999. The school, during this time had morning and afternoon sessions in the lower wings. K-2 grades in the morning and 3-5 grades in the afternoons (double sessions). Lasting 3 years.
The new structure was completed in March 2002 and occupied April 2002.( http://www.orionusa.com/occ/p_school.html )

Comments