Dr Mridul Hazarika's Five Years
Looking Back . . .
Dr Mridul Hazarika and His Five Years
16th Vice Chancellor of Gauhati University (2013 - 2018)
Dr Mridul Hazarika took over the charge as the 16th Vice Chancellor of this historic premier institution on Monday, 19th August, 2013 and we look back when he successfully completed his tenure, what Gauhati University has achieved during his leadership of last five years.
A chemist by profession, Dr Mridul Hazarika is an outstanding tea researcher of the country. He has been instrumental in bringing the Toklai Tea Research Institute in Jorhat to its present famed state, after he joined the institute as the Director in 2003 prior to his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of Gauhati University. An extensively travelled scientist in the country and abroad, Dr Hazarika is a visionary. With his vision, he has made his mark widely visible in this university! We cannot but forget the accelerated growth the university has witnessed during the last five years under the able guidance of Dr Hazarika which has culminated in the award of the Grade-A NAAC accreditation, which came just in time when Dr Hazarika is about to hand over the baton to the next leader!
The NAAC A-Grade
The NAAC Grade for Gauhati University has been announced on 16th August - an A (in the new accreditation format) which itself speaks about the progress the university has made during last five years.
New Academic Infrastructure
The Centre for Brahmaputra Studies (CBS)
It is a new and a unique centre which is being established in the university with the support from the DONER is a dream project of Dr Hazarika. The centre, when fully functional will serve as a Centre of Excellence and will act as a think tank for the entire region in the issues related to the mighty river Brahmaputra.
The Central Instrumentation Facility (CIF)
It is a new state-of-the-art instrumentation facility being established in the Campus (by the side of the Chemistry Department), where sophisticated instruments are being set up. In the first phase, a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) is being commissioned along with an Atomic Force Microscope (AFM).
- PhD in Radiological Physics
- Integrated MSc-PhD in Food Science
- MSc in cancer Biology
- MSc in Wildlife Science
- MTech in Signal Processing and VLSI Design
- MTech in Signal Processing in Communication Engineering
- MSc in Microbiology
- PG Diploma in Classical Music
- Certificate Course in Mising and Rabha languages
- Certificate Course and Diploma in Basics of Law
- Introduction of CBCS across all disciplines
New Centres and Departments
- Centre for South East Asian Studies
- Centre for Performing Arts
- Centre for Language and Cultural Studies
- Centre for Brahmaputra Studies (see above)
- Establishment of the International Students Office (as International Relations Wing or IRW)
- Introduction of GU Research Eligibility Test (GU-RET) and introduction of all new and improved MPhil-PhD Regulations as per with the current UGC Regulations
- Central Entrance Test for all postgraduate admissions
- Central Entrance Test for BEd programme
- Successful commissioning of the state-of-the-art digital Integrated University Management System (IUMS)
- Linkage of GU to the National Data Depository
- Start-Up Grant for young faculty
- Establishment of the Technology Incubation Centre
Outreach and Collaborations
- Starting of the European and Australian Chapters of GU Alumni Association
- Starting of International Exchange Programme for students
- Increased number of MoUs with institutions of international repute
- Construction of several ultra-modern Seminar and Lecture Halls, Video Conferencing Systems, including the renovation of the historic BKB Auditorium to make it an international level Convention Hall
- Amphitheatre in front of the Arts Building
- Erection of statues of Lakshminath Bezboruah, K K Handiqui, B K Kakati, Hemchandra Barua, and Maheswar Neog
- Campus-wide fibre optic LAN covering the residential quarters
- Successful implementation of the Closed Campus boundaries, including the construction of gates
- Cafeterias and Food Courts
- Renovation of GU Guest House
- Developments of various playgrounds and Sports Complex
The university community would like to thank and congratulate Dr Hazarika for successful completion of his tenure as the
16th Vice Chancellor of Gauhati University. We wish him the very best in his future endeavour.