Match Reports‎ > ‎

Southern Gaels 2-16 Delvin 3-5

posted 24 Aug 2011, 01:22 by Kieran McCarthy   [ updated 24 Aug 2011, 03:15 ]
Junior B Championship 3rd round. Venue: Athlone.
After losing our second round game to Cullion this was a winners take all clash for a place in the semi-finals. We had probably our strongest team of the year out for the game and the first half went as well as we could have hoped.
We got completely on top in the middle third of the pitch and a sucession of points and near misses followed immediately from the throw in. We went 4 points up before Delvin had a shot at the target. Hard running and good workrate was been shown by all our players.
In Delvin's first real attack their wing forward cut in from the right and cracked a shot to the top corner of the net with Alan Kennedy getting a stick to it but failing to keep it out.
This meant after our excellent start we were only a point up.
We responded well to the setback, getting a point back straight away and following this up with a goal of our own from Tommy Murphy. It looked at first as if he had fumbled a catch in front of the goals but he assured us afterwards he was flicking the ball to the net. Something which he practises regularly apparently.
At this stage Delvin lost their corner back to injury and before the new man had settled to his task Ronan Farrell took advantage to burst through and score goal number two.
Further points followed and with Alan Kennedy making a good stop the half time score was 2-9 to 1-0.
We vowed at half time to press home our advantage. However Delvin came out a much more determined side in the second half. They scored 2 goals and five points and had the gap back to 4 points at one stage. They were undermined by having their wing forward sent off for verbally abusing the ref and by the end we had stretched the lead back to eight points.
Team: A.Kennedy, M.Larkin, K. McCarthy, C. Duncan, B. Cleary, D. Duane, S. Carey 0-1 , P. Flynn, G. Daly 0-1, T. O'Keeffe 0-9, A. Dolphin 0-2, T. McHugh 0-2, C. Foley 0-1, T. Murphy 1-0, R. Farrell 1-0.
Subs: F. Kelly for C. Foley, D. Finn for T. Murphy, J. Larkin, M. O'Connell, J. Kilroy, P. Kehoe.