Match Reports‎ > ‎

Southern Gaels 1-17 Brownstown 3-10

posted 18 Sep 2013, 00:53 by Kieran McCarthy

Junior B Hurling Semi-final 14/9/2013

 Southern Gaels  1-17  Brownstown  3-10


In this match Brownstown looked to be in an unassailable position when they led by 9 points at half time. Southern Gaels had showed little appetite for the game in the first half. However, the Athlone side scored 1-10 without reply in the third quarter to turn the game on its head. They went on to seal victory when captain Tony O'Keeffe pointed a 70m free in injury time to claim a deserved victory.

The sides swapped two points each before Brownstown took a hold of the game in the second quarter. They scored 2-4 in the space of ten minutes with Gaels only reply two points from Adrian Garvey and M.J. Kelly. Robert Dugdale and Sean Smyth took hold at centre field and set up Michael Travers and Gavin Mulary for the goals. The Athlone side were under pressure all over the field and conceded a further two points before half-time as Michael Travers proved dangerous. A long range free from goalkeeper James Moore brought Brownstown to 2-8 while Tony O'Keeffe pointed a free to see Gaels at 0-5 at half-time.

However, all changed after the interval. The Athlone side completely dominated the third quarter. They scored five points in the first five minutes one from play from M.J. Kelly and four placed balls from Tony O'Keeffe. Conor Foley, a first half sub, hit 1-2 and MJ Kelly and Tony O'Keeffe added an additional two points. The sides swapped points before  Keith Higgins netted for Brownstown to leave the minimum between the sides as only minutes remained. Cormac Foley leveled proceedings with a Brownstown point, but as a draw looked certain Tony O'Keeffe held his nerve to point a long range free and send Southern Gaels into their first county final in eleven years.

Gaels were well served by their defence in the second half when the halfback line closed out Brownstown for long periods. Kieran Duncan was superb throughout with great assistance from Eoghan Cronin and Sean Carey. Kieran McCarthy and Declan Finn also did trojan work. Adrian Garvey had an excellent second half at centre field with Conor Foley and M.J. Kelly dangerous in the forward line. But it was the cool nerve of Tony O'Keeffe  who accounted for nine points that proved the difference in the end.

Brownstown were well served by Robert Dugdale, centreback Martin Kelly and forwards Michael Travers and Gavin Mulary.

The Athlone side can now look forward to a county final after a long year of training that is begining to show dividends.

Southern Gaels: Dermot Whelan, Declan Finn, Kieran Mc Carthy, Sean Carey, Kieran Duncan, Eoghan Cronin, Patrick Flynn, Jason Ryan, Alan Kennedy, Adrian Garvey (0-1), Tony O'Keeffe, Captain, (0-9, 5f, 1'65), Ronan Farrell, Colin Larkin, M.J. Kelly (0-3) and Sean Kilgariff (0-1) Subs: Conor Foley (1-2) for Larkin and Jamie Anders for Kilgariff. Frank Kely, David Johnson, Shane Galvin, John Stapleton, Jonathan Keogh, Ciaran Cleary, Peter Muldoon and Ciaran Connolly.