In the Library:
- Hoover's Handbook series: This four-volume set includes comprehensive profiles of American businesses, worldwide businesses, emerging companies, and privately owned companies. Reference Shelf: HF 3010 .H668
- North American Industry Classification System: This reference guide from the U.S. Office of Management and Budget includes a description and cross references for each classification. Reference Shelf: HF 1042 .N6 2002
- The Wall Street Journal: Delivered daily. Located behind the Service Desk
- The Economist: Magazine Rack
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Magazine Rack
- Find more books here.
Through Our Research Databases:
The library subscribes to many research tools that give you access to items you will not find for free on the Web:
- Business & Company Resource Center: This resource includes links to newspaper and magazine articles concerning your chosen company. Use the "Industry Search" option to find Datamonitor articles about your chosen industry.
- Hoover's First Research: This resource is a must for industry research! Find comprehensive data concerning your industry's forecast, including challenges and opportunities. Use the "States and Provinces" option to find industry growth rates in your chosen state.
- LexisNexis Academic: LexisNexis provides comprehensive company information, including annual reports, SWOT analysis, and historical timelines.
- ProQuest Newspapers: Search this database to find relevant newspaper articles. This database provides access to local and national newspapers, including The New York Times and The Boston Globe.
- Regional Business News: This database provides access to approximately 80 regional industry publications. Use this resource of you are researching an industry in a specific location.
- Valueline Research Center: This database provides single-page summaries of stock and sales numbers, as well as a brief company forecast. Use their company and industry reports to determine earnings information and major competitors.
Through the Web:
- Annualreports.com: Find free annual reports by company, industry, or sector.
- Better Business Bureau: View businesses reviews and find out which businesses have received accreditation.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (United State Department of Labor): Use their "Industries at a Glance" feature to find employment and earnings information for major industries.
- Industry Data Finder (Cole Library, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute): Use these industry guides to find free authoritative resources abour your chosen industry. You can also find lists of SIC and NAICS codes for each industry.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: The Bureau of Labor Statistics compiles employment data and wage information for a variety of occupations.
- The Public Register Online: Formerly Annual Report Service, this directory provides free access to corporate reports. Registration with the website is free, but is also required.