Hearing loss is a hidden handicap. However, there are some signs that are frequently
indicators of a hearing loss.
A child may have a hearing loss if he:
If a child demonstrates such symptoms he should have his hearing tested, since even
- frequently asks to have things repeated
- turns one side of his head towards the speaker
- talks too loudly or too softly
- watched and concentrates on the speaker's lips
- makes frequent mistakes in following directions
- tends to isolate himself
- breathes through his mouth
- has earaches or ear drainage
- has a speech problem
mild hearing loss can cause delays in speech, language and educational development.
It is important that the loss be detected and treated
at as early an age as possible.