Tim Seek, Pastor
ADAMSTOWN COMMUNITY CHURCHCurrent Pastor is Tim Seek. The website is: adamstownchurch.org
– 1868, Adams Street, Adamstown, Maryland
Adamstown Community Church was once a part of the Manor Charge of the Maryland Classis of the former German Reformed Church. Church services were being held as early as 1747 in the local schoolhouse and early
the 1760s, the local body of German Reformed churches established services
at St. Matthew’s Church on the Manor, which was built as a result
of a gift by Charles Carroll of 10 acres of land and money. The church
building was built in 1768 and shared by both the Lutherans and the
Reformed congregations. The church was rebuilt in both 1812 and
1840. By the 1900s, the Lutheran and Reformed congregations had
it was decided that Adamstown needed its own church and on September
2, 1868 a cornerstone was laid for our first church building which was
named Trinity Chapel. The Kohlenburg family donated the lot on
which the church was built and the total cost of the building was $3,000.
In 1883, the first parsonage was built to accommodate its pastor under
the new Manor Charge, Rev. AJ Heller.
1893, the twenty four year old church was in need of great repair.
Rather than renovate, the congregation decided to construct a new building
on the same site, which would cost about $5,000. Members donated
much of the interior furnishings and the church we know today had taken
than a year later, the eleven-year-old parsonage, which stood only 15
feet from the new church, burned to the ground. This caused damage
to some of the art glass windows on the side next to the home, which
was replaced years later. Meanwhile, the pastor and his family
stayed with church members until the new parsonage was rebuilt in the
fall of 1894.
In 1913, the Willing Workers Society was established. The first president was Mrs. John C. Lamar. This group still flourishes today with both male and female members and stands as an example to our other church members of dedication to Christ.
church had two important affiliations in the past. In 1934, the
Reformed Church merged with the Evangelical Church and led to our title
of Trinity, Evangelical and Reformed. During this same time, the
education building was built which stones from the old Manor Church
and includes the church’s 1893 cornerstone. By 1961, the church’s
needs changed and they became a part of the United Church of Christ.
In 2001, Trinity became an independent non-denominational church. In
early 2008, the church modified its name to Adamstown Community Church,
dropping the formal denominational naming structure from the 1800's.
However, the church has kept the name Trinity Evangelical and Reformed
Church Adamstown as their official, legal name, to preserve the founding
heritage of this great church that continues to serve the Adamstown
community each and every day.
Today, we minister as Adamstown Community Church. Our mission is "Love God, Love Others, and Serve the World”. May that motto serve us well as we embark on the next 140 years.
The cornerstone of the first church in Adamstown was laid on September 2, 1868. It was built upon a lot donated by the Kohlenburg family. The church was then referred to as Trinity Chapel of the Reformed Church. The first church building lasted twenty-four years; however, it was in need of costly repairs, so the church voted to erect a new structure. The cornerstone of our current building was laid on July 8, 1893, with the cornerstone of the old building placed in the foundation as well. The total cost of the building was $5,000. On November 1, 1936, our Sunday School building was dedicated. This building cost more than $8,000. Materials from the original Manor Church were used in the construction. The church was part of a denomination called the Evangelical and Reformed, which later joined with the Congregational Christians to form the United Church of Christ. In 2001, Trinity became an independent non-denominational church. In early 2008, the church modified its name to Adamstown Community Church, dropping the formal denominational naming structure from the 1800's. However, the church has kept the name Trinity Evangelical and Reformed Church Adamstown as their official, legal name, to preserve the founding heritage of this great church that continues to serve the Adamstown community each and every day.