Farmington World Languages Vision, Mission and Core Beliefs.
Graduates of Farmington High School achieve a level of communicative proficiency that allows them to interact effectively with others who do not speak English. As a result of their participation in the Farmington World Language program, the lives of our graduates are enriched both personally and professionally by allowing them to form meaningful relationships and to collaborate with people throughout a global society.
The mission of the Farmington World Language Program is for students to communicate in another language, understand and appreciate cultural differences, and participate in and contribute to a global society. Students understand how language learning can benefit their personal and professional life.
Our Core Beliefs
- All students should become proficient in more than one language.
- All students should become inter-culturally competent in order to participate in, and contribute to, a global society.
- Students’ lives are enriched as the study of a language allows them to form meaningful relationships with people throughout the world.
At West Woods...
- Students learn to comprehend and to communicate in Spanish.
- Students develop an appreciation of different cultures through the language they choose to study.
- Students use their natural curiosity about how to communicate in another language through inquiry and personalized goals.
- Students learn in sequential stages, which continue at the Middle School and High School, in order to meet the graduation requirement.
Help your child succeed at world language learning by:
- checking homework completion
- using flashcards and games to quiz your child before assessments.
- asking your child what he or she is learning in class.
- encouraging your child to use the language as much as possible.
Learning a Language...
• expands our view of the world
• encourages critical reflection,
• develops our learning capabilities,• encourages respect for other people and cultures
• improves our own language
• enhances job opportunities
• provides chances for more meaningful leisure activities