The RMS Student Council is a community service organization, which benefits our school, the community of Florham Park & global concerns. Students who choose to run for the offices of President, Vice-President, Historian, Secretary, & Facilitator must demonstrate special talents, characteristics & leadership skills as they will be leading the students in many projects whose impact will be felt by many. It is important to have leaders who have either performed community service tasks, or would like to be involved in reaching out to others. Your ideas for activities & projects will be considered as you meet each month by both your advisors & the school principal.
The Election schedule is as follows:
· Election Info Meeting, Thursday, 9/10.
· Anyone interested in running for one of the five executive offices must state his/her intent by signing & submitting the bid for candidacy form no later than 2:30 pm on Tuesday, Sept 15. Both advisors will have forms available on that day or you can obtain a form online on the Student Council webpage.
· Primary Election for ALL interested candidates, Monday, 9/21 & Tuesday, 9/22 in Enrichment class: the top three for each office will participate in the final election for 2015 – 2016.
· IF you move on to the final election, you must write a speech of one paragraph that will be due on Friday, 9/25 by 2:30 pm. (see info below)
· Run-off speeches will be presented during both lunches on Wednesday, 9/30.
· Final elections will take place on Thursday, 10/1 & Friday, 10/2 in Enrichment class.
All candidates who advance past the Primary must write a speech to introduce themselves to the student body. The speech must be one paragraph (no more than 7 sentences) and no longer than 2 minutes. It must be approved by one of the advisors and can be submitted in one of two ways:
· Email speech to an advisor by Friday, 9/25 at 2:30 p.m. (preferred form)
· Hard copy brought to an advisor by the end of school (2:30 pm) on Friday, 9/25.
Your speech should include the following:
1. Your name and the office you are seeking.
2. Prior Student Council or student government experience.
3. Any traits & special talents that will make you the best candidate.
4. The description of at least one community service project you propose for RMS.
(Make sure to dress professionally on the day of the speeches.)
* Remember to pack all these terrific things into ONE paragraph! *
Speeches will be due to either Mrs. Cochario or Mrs. Cantwell VIA EMAIL or A HARD COPY BY 2:30 PM on Friday, September 25th! Anyone who does not submit his or her speech by the deadline will not be able to present it.
You will have three days to campaign for the Primary Election. You may only campaign using posters & signs advertising your candidacy. DISTRIBUTION OF STICKERS, CANDY OR OTHER FOOD ITEMS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED! Before displaying any posters, they MUST be approved by either Mrs. Cochario or Mrs. Cantwell. Below please find the rules & guidelines for all posters & signs. Anyone who does not abide by these rules will be immediately disqualified from the election: