The Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church and cemetery are located at 5745 County Highway 183, DeFuniak Springs, Walton County, Florida. They sit on ½ of a 40 acre plot on which is located two churches and two cemeteries, divided only by a chain-link fence. The Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church was established in the very early 1820's and the stately building included a section of the church house were the slave owners encouraged their salves to participate in the life of the church. At the close of the Civil War, it was thought best by all that there be two churches established. Land, labor and building materials were donated for a church building. Several current members remember the original building which was actually located within the bounds of the Pleasant Grove Cemetery today.
In 1901, under the leadership of the Board of Deacons, Alexander Gipson, Columbus Gipson and Spencer Everett the church established a cemetery to serve the African-American community. Presently a cemetery committee, made up of member of the entire community, meets monthly to care for the cemetery and to ensure that the community provides an adequate place for loved one to be laid to rest.
In 1994, the cemetery was platted by Winifred M. “Winnie” & William A. “Bill” Steadley-Campbell. Durl E. Odom prepared this data for publication on this web page. The listing is copyrighted material and may be used only for personal family research. All other inquiries should be addressed to Durl E. Odom, firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions to the church/cemetery are: (1) From either east or west on US Highway 90, take County Road 183 S approximately 5 miles from their intersection at Argyle, Florida. (From the South, travel State Road 20 to the intersection of State Road 81 in Bruce, Florida. Travel approximately 15 miles north, to the intersection of State Road 81 and County Road 183 N. Travel County Road 183 N. approximately 5 miles to the church/cemetery. The church/cemetery is located in the corner of C183 and C280.