St. Lucie Village
The homestead of Major James Paine, who settled there after completing his tour of duty at Fort Capron. His forty acres were along the west bank of the Indian River about one mile south of the fort. His family joined him in 1857. Around 1872, Alexander Bell brought his family and homesteaded from Taylor Creek south, the Paine family were his neighbors. Over the next 20 years the area became known in the north as a "Sportsman's Paradise", Paine rented rooms to visitors for $3.00 per day. During the 1870's St. Lucie was the capital of Brevard County. In the 1890's Mathew Quay a Republican Senator from Pennsylvania built a large winter retreat near the Paine home, to which he added a private railroad siding to accommodate his friends' personal railroad cars. Ten of his political allies enjoyed the area so much they formed the St. Lucie Club and built a clubhouse in 1902. This became a center for national Republican politics.
A small pioneer community which was located in the present day Norseman's Harbor area, of Port St. Lucie. At the turn of the century it had it's own schoolhouse and post office. All that remains is a small cemetery with a marker inscribed, "Spruce Bluff Early Pioneer Settlement 1892" with the names or description of the seven people buried there.
In 1843, eight settlers founded the first European community, they called it Susanna, located about 3.5 miles south of present day Fort Pierce. The settlers and several new arrivals stayed there until 1849. Fearful of an Indian uprising they abandoned their homes and fled to St. Augustine.
This south county community was the northern section of Eden. It was named after L.P. Tibbals who owned the nearby Beulah Plantation. Later renamed Walton.
An area between Winter Beach and Sebastian that flourished. Farming of beans, strawberries and citrus were the main sources of income in 1893. William H. Wigfield, father of five daughters became the first Postmaster, his home became the post office. Now part of Indian River County.