This area north of Fort Pierce, originally a portion of Viking and known in the first part of the 20th century as Fort Pierce Farms, was renamed by Mrs. Edward Binney (wife of the inventor of Crayola Crayons), she combined the first three letters of the word "Indian" with the Spanish word for river "rio". Edwin Binney built his home called Florindia there, as did his daughter Dorothy Putnam, whose home is known as Immokolee. Most local folks now think of this scenic area as part of Lawnwood Park.
Originally settled by August Park, from Danzig, Germany in 1865. Park became tired of traveling to Titusville to shop and opened a store. Thomas New a resident, became the first Postmaster in 1874. It became an important trading center and a regular stop for river steamers. The communities name was changed from New Haven to Sebastian in November of 1884. Now part of Indian River County.
Captain Frank Forster was the first permanent settler, coming down the river in the 1880's in his sloop and taking up land to the north of the present day river bridge. A post office was established at his place in 1887. The Florida East Coast Railroad reached here in 1893 and Wabasso became the permanent name of the settlement. Now part of Indian River County.
On March 17, 1902, the Woodley post office was renamed Quay, in honor of U.S. Senator Mathew S. Quay of Pennsylvania. He had put through the Congress an appropriation for $15,000 to improve the channel of the Indian River. This community is present day Winter Beach, Indian River County.