The second Seminole War began in 1835 and the U.S. Army commenced efforts to establish military posts throughout Florida. Lt. Col. Benjamin Kendrick Pierce, commander of the 1st Regiment of Artillery, and brother of the future President Franklin Pierce, proceeded down the coast with a detachment of troops. The troops spent two uncomfortable nights on the east side of the river, just south of the inlet. On the morning of January 2, 1838, they crossed to a bluff on the west side, about four miles south of the Indian River Inlet. They began to erect a block-house, much like many others, but this one was made from palmetto logs. After construction, finding it in need of a name, they chose that of their worthy commander. The fort was built near an Ais Indian mound and had a natural sweet water spring. The fort was abandoned by the military at the end of the war in 1842. A settler named Dr. Weedon became the proprietor of of the buildings and used them as temporary accommodations for newly arriving families. On the night of December 12, 1843, a fire began in the fort's kitchen and quickly spread destroying all the buildings.
A notice was posted on December 29, 1900 calling all registered voters to assemble at Davis Hall, Fort Pierce, Brevard County, Florida, on February 2, A.D. 1901, for the purpose of organizing a municipal government. On that date, 54 of the
The Seminole Tallahasse Chipto with
his wife and daughter, circa 1910