Ocklawaha Bridge Baptist Church Part 2 Page 2

On September 7, 1985, the Historical Committee invited interested Church members to join them in a pilgrimage to our historical locations including several cemeteries.

On January 15, 1986, our Pastor, John Temoschuk, entered the hospital in Ocala, suffering with heart problems. He remained hospitalized until January 31, when he was able to return to his home and resume his duties as Pastor of our Church.

A committee had been working on a proposed Constitution, so on March 5, 1986, Richard Mills, Chairman of the Committee, presented the proposed Constitution and By-laws for discussion and vote. Since several sections were questioned, it was referred back to the Committee for work on these points. At the next Conference, the revised document was accepted, and R.H. Holly moved to give the Committee the power to print the Constitution in booklet form. Since this time, several changes and corrections have been made, principally for clarification.

On Sunday, May 4, 1986, Mrs. Ethel Wall McDonald, a past Music Director of our Church, was honored during the worship service. Family and friends gave many tributes to her. After the service, “Mrs. Mc”, as she is affectionately known, was honored with a Church-wide fellowship sponsored by the Sanctuary Choir, who presented her with several pieces of china. Ethel has lived almost all of her life in our community and has been an active member of our church for many years. She is the daughter of the late William and Lucy Sewell Wall, early settlers of our community. She and her husband, Robert L. (Shug) McDonald, were outstanding members of the Choir and often sang duets for special occasions.

In July of 1986, the Senior Adults held their regular monthly luncheon and sponsored a Church-wide Old Fashioned Fourth of July Picnic with food, fellowship, and homemade ice cream.

In August of 1986, a motion was approved to start a fund for Lorraine Rogers, a member of our Church, who would soon be going to Kenya as a Missionary for Campus Crusade for Christ. The group approved a motion by Nancy Keller, seconded by Richard Mills, to start this fund, guaranteeing an initial gift and a monthly gift based on pledges signed by members of the congregation. At a later date, while on furlough, Lorraine reported back to our Church with a message illustrated with slides.

The Congregate Meals Program, under the direction of Mrs. Ethel Henderson, began operating on November 3, 1986, at our Church. This program, sponsored by the Marion County Senior Services, provided a hot meal and fellowship for those over 60 years of age. It proved to be so successful that Meals on Wheels program began operation in January of 1987. Meals were delivered to shut—ins and others unable to come to the center. Volunteers from the community also operated this.

The W.M.U. Give-Away program, under the direction of Mrs. Phyllis Rodgers, which began a few years ago, was very successful and served a need in the community. Through this program clothing and other necessary supplies were provided to needy families, especially at the beginning of school and at Christmas time. Along this same line, on March 4, 1987, Mrs. Ethel Henderson, of the Senior Adult Ministry, asked, and received approval, to open a “Share and Care Center” to be started in the Church basement. This Center was to be operated by the Senior Adult Ministry and was to be a program for sharing clothing and other useful items with the poor and less fortunate in the community. This Center, which was later called “Care ‘N’Share”, is continuing to provide many necessary items to those in need of a helping hand. T. C. Grant donated a trailer for use by the Center. With the help of volunteers, the trailer was cleaned, repaired, and painted. Shelves were built and other improvements made. The ladies spent hours making and repairing clothing to be given away. Toys, household furnishings, as well as other useful items were also made available.

After fifteen years of dedication from our youth and adults, the Bus Ministry, which began in December of 1974, came to an end, On September 1, 1988, the buses made their last run. Due to the age of the buses and new regulations, it was no longer safe to continue operating them.

Part 2 Page 3