Jackson County Seal

County Coordinator

                     WELCOME TO JACKSON COUNTY FLORIDA
   
 The Russ House in downtown Marianna, was built
in 1895 and is on the National Register of Historic
Places.  It is now the home of the
Jackson County Chamber of Commerce.                        
   
                                                                                                                     
    
                                           
           Jackson County was established by the Florida Territorial Council on August 12, 1822 out of Escambia County, making it the third county in the Territory. The county was named for Andrew Jackson, who had served as Florida's first military governor for six months in 1821. Jackson County originally extended from the Choctawhatchee River on the west to the Suwannee River on the east and from Alabama and Georgia on the north to the Gulf of Mexico on the south. The county was reduced to close its present boundaries by 1840 through the creation of new counties from its original territory. Minor adjustments to the county boundaries continued through most of the 19th century.
              
 
           There were no towns in Jackson County when it was formed. The first county court met at what was called "Robinson's Big Spring" (later called Blue Springs) in 1822 and then at the "Big Spring of the Choctawhatchee" in 1823. The following year the county court met at "Chipola Settlement" which is also known as Waddell's Mill Pond.
          
 The first town established in Jackson County was Webbville in January 1827. Webbville, a community of land squatters, was located nine miles northwest of present day Marianna and was designated as the county seat.   Meanwhile, also in 1827, Marianna was founded by Robert and Anna Maria Beveridge.  The Beveridges purchased

three eighty acre tracts of land on a beautiful bluff along the Chipola River.   In 1828 Beveridge and other Marianna settlers went to Tallahassee and enticed the Florida Legislature with free land, construction of a courthouse, a public square and $500 to purchase a quarter section of land to be sold at public auction as a way to finance the new government, if the county seat was moved to Marianna.  Marianna became the permanent county seat in 1829, and Webbville has long since passed from existance.

             Pioneers poured into Jackson County, blazing their way through the wilderness and building their homes.  Typical of the deep south, cotton became "King" and many large plantations thrived until war and the changes it brought.  On September 27, 1864, Marianna was raided by a band of Federals from Union headquarters in Pensacola.  A small group of older and younger citizens attempted to defend the town through a fierce battle.  Miraculously, Marianna escaped destruction when an order to burn the entire city was countermanded.  The invaders retreated when word came that Confederate aid was approaching.
 
          Today, Jackson County's economy is still based largely on agriculture.  Jackson County enjoys rich family strains and a heritage which has not been blotted out.  Warm, friendy residents have deep roots in Jackson County and a question often asked is "Who's your daddy?"  A great place for genealogical research!

           

                  
 
                                                                                                                                                                                      


We welcome contributions to this site.  Data transcriptions, abstracts, photographs, etc., all are greatly appreciated. 

If you are interested in sponsoring this county in The FLGenWeb Project at USGenWeb,
 please read all about it and follow the instructions for adoption.

 

Continuously Under Construction
 Please excuse our dust...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Subpages (1): Genealogy Tips and Tools