In 1861 by an act of the legislature, Baker County became the 39th county in Florida. The county was named for Honorable James McNait Baker, former Judge of the Fourth Judicial District of the State of Florida.
The first county seat was located in Sanderson until February 1, 1886 when it was moved to Macclenny. Macclenny was named after C.B. Macclenny, a big timber salesman. The town was incorporated April 11, 1887, and a revised map was recorded on March 4, 1889.
Olustee Battlefield, a state historic site located in Baker County, is a memorial to the major engagement of the Civil War in Florida. The battlefield, on U.S. 90 two miles east of Olustee, covers 270 acres.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the main businesses were: cattle raising, turpentining, lumbering, and farming. Osceola National Forest has played an important roll in the economy of the county.
Agriculture has always played a predominant role in the history of Baker County. Forestry is the backbone of the agricultural community, followed closely by the ornamental horticulture industry. The county has some of Florida’s oldest and largest wholesale nurseries, especially in woody ornamentals. Nursery stock grown in Baker County is shipped nationwide.
On the left is a 1975 Photograph of the Baker County Courthouse. The photo above is a 1920's photo of United States Department of Agriculture Naval Stores Research Station near Olustee.
Photos on this page courtesy of the Florida State Archives Florida Memory Project