Have you subscribed to FlashAlert? It's the quickest way to receive notifications of any schedule changes/school closures. You also have a new option, to get closures via the free Android/iOS app FlashAlert Messenger. It uses Push Notification to reach you fast and reliably and you may link as many phones to your account as you wish. You just need to have subscribed to FlashAlert to enable the app.
Emergency Procedures - School Closures and Schedule Changes
(click here to view our comprehensive Emergency Plan)
At any time during the school year weather conditions, power outages, or other unforeseen circumstances could require schedule changes, delays, or school closure. Fife School District uses local radio and television stations to keep families informed.
- Emergency messages and closures will be posted on our district website and via FlashAlert (https://www.flashalert.net/signup.html)
- View Emergency Bus Routes
- We will also notify student families and staff through our phone messaging system. You will receive an automated call as soon as possible after a decision has been made, but never before 5 AM.
Listen to the radio between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. Radio stations will announce schedule changes by the district name and number. Please do not call the radio stations or the school district administration offices. Jammed telephone lines only compound emergencies.
Early Release (should schools need to close early)
In the event that schools need to be closed early, the following procedures will be used to ensure that students arrive home safely.
Student Release Procedures :
For elementary students (grades preschool - 5):
1) An attempt will be made to contact the parent (or emergency contact person).
2) If contact is successful, the student will be released (either placed on the bus for delivery on normal bus route or released to walk home).
3) If a parent or emergency contact is not contacted, the student will be kept at school (safe and supervised) until a parent picks the student up at school. No second bus run will be made.
4) An automated callout will be sent to all families announcing the early release.
For secondary students (grades 6 - 12):
Students will be released using normal procedures (though arrival times may be different due to the weather conditions). An automated callout will be sent to all families announcing the early release.
Types of Announcements and Their Meanings
**Announcements are for one day only**
No announcement means normal operations.
- This means all schools will be closed for one day only. All meetings, field trips, and after school activities will be cancelled.
“Limited Bus Transportation”
“School One Hour Late or Two Hours Late”
- This means that school will start either one hour or two hours late and that students will be dismissed at the regular time unless otherwise announced. Parents should listen to the radio for further announcements. Buses will operate one or two hours later than usually scheduled. There will be no preschool in the morning. Afternoon preschool will run on regular schedule.
“No Out-Of-District Transportation”
- This means there will be no transportation for special education students who travel from Fife district to other districts.
|KOMO CHANNEL 4
KING CHANNEL 5
KIRO CHANNEL 7
KCPQ CHANNEL 13
KGY 1240 AM
KLAY 1180 AM
KOMO 1000 AM *
KIXI 880 AM
*Pierce County Department of Emergency Management Regional Broadcast Station
KGY 96.9 FM
KIRO 97.3 FM *
KMPS 94.1 FM
KXXO 96.1 FM
KVTI 90.9 FM
KPLU 88.5 FM
KMTT 103.7 FM
KLSY 92.5 FM
KBSG 97.3 FM
KRWM 106.9 FM
AM and PM Emergency Bus Routes
All bus routes will stay the same except for the following:
Bus #39 – FHS/CJH, Bus #46 - SLMS, and Bus #44 & Bus #18 - Hedden/Discovery
All Fife Heights students that live between 4th St E at 66th Ave E and 7th St NE and 62nd Ave NE will catch their scheduled bus at either 4th St E at 66th Ave E or 7th St NE & 62nd Ave NE. Bus will go out by way of NE Tacoma.
Bus #50 - FHS/CJH/SLMS/Hedden/Discovery
Students on 28th St will walk up to Alder St & 27th Ave or down to 28th Ave S & S 380th.
All Hill Creek students will walk out to S 380th & 26th Dr S (Kings Grove Entrance).
All Kings Grove students will walk to S 379th & 26th Dr S or S 377th & 27th Pl S.
Bus #36– Hedden/Discovery, Bus #28 & #12 FHS/CJH, Bus #12 SLMS
Students on 119th Ave E will walk out to 8th St E. Students on 8th St & 122nd Ave E (turn-around) will walk out to 8th St E & 122nd Ave E. Buses will not go down 114th St E hill. Students will walk up to 114th St E & 8th St E, or to 114th St E & Jovita Blvd.
Bus #28 – FHS/CJH, Bus #35 SLMS/Hedden/Discovery
All students on County Line Road or 42nd Ave S will walk over to 43rd Ave S & S 380th or 43rd Ave S & S 378th, or 42nd Ave S & 375th.
Bus #28 – Endeavour/Discovery, Bus #39 Surprise Lake MS
All Porter Way students between Milton Way & Kent St must walk to Milton Way & Porter, or Porter Way & Kent St.
FHS/CJH/SLMS, Endeavour/Discovery- All buses listed, #3, #5, #29, #12 & #37
All students in the North Milton area (i.e., from 10th Ave to 23rd Ave, Emerald St., Hylebos area will walk to 10th Ave & Milton Way, 11th Ave & Milton Way, 15th Ave & Milton Way, 19th Ave & Milton Way, 23rd Ave & Milton Way, or 23rd Ave & Alder St, and 23rd Ave & Emerald.
These are our scheduled Emergency/Snow Routes. However please keep in mind that variations in times and schedules may occur depending on the emergency and/or weather conditions.
If you have any questions please contact the Transportation Department at (253) 517-1060.