Google Drive now gives you 5 gigs of FREE space. Google Drive allows you to access your files everywhere by using your PC or Mac, Chrome OS, Android devices, and coming soon, iPhone and iPad.
What is it?
Google Drive—a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.
With Google Drive, you can:
- Create and collaborate. Google Docs is built right into Google Drive, so you can work with others in real time on documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once you choose to share content with others, you can add and reply to comments on anything (PDF, image, video file, etc.) and receive notifications when other people comment on shared items.
- Store everything safely and access it anywhere (especially while on the go). All your stuff is just... there. You can access your stuff from anywhere—on the web, in your home, at the office, while running errands and from all of your devices. You can install Drive on your Mac or PC and can download the Drive app to your Android phone or tablet. We’re also working hard on a Drive app for your iOS devices. And regardless of platform, blind users can access Drive with a screen reader.
- Search everything. Search by keyword and filter by file type, owner and more. Drive can even recognize text in scanned documents using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. Let’s say you upload a scanned image of an old newspaper clipping. You can search for a word from the text of the actual article. We also use image recognition so that if you drag and drop photos from your Grand Canyon trip into Drive, you can later search for [grand canyon] and photos of its gorges should pop up. This technology is still in its early stages, and we expect it to get better over time. ... continue reading here
How can you get it?
The upgrade is FREE. Go to drive.google.com, click on "Sign In," and then login with your FAU account.
Once logged in, click on the "Try Google Drive" button.
Downloading Google Drive for PC:
- Click on the "Download Google Drive" button.
- Agree to the Google Drive Terms of Service.
- Click Accept and Install
- Sign in with your FAU account (remember to only use your FAU email account to sign into google. You will then be redirected to login using the usual FAU login screen which will accept your FAU netID and password).
- When the window pops up that welcomes you to Google Drive, click next.
- Click on "Start Sync"
- This process will create a folder on your desktop and also sync your documents/files to your Google Drive folder.
- Once the sync is complete, you will be able to drag and drop and manage your files from your desktop, rather than the Google site. You are able to create folders and upload files by dragging them into your Google Drive.