News For Parents
(updated 10/21/16 @7:36 p.m.)
8:30 am – Course Walk
9:30 am – Girls Futures
10:00 am – Boys Futures
10:30 am – Girls Varsity
11:00 am – Boys Varsity
11:30 am – Girls Junior Varsity
12:00 pm – Boys Junior Varsity
12:30 pm – Awards Ceremony
- Today I'm starting a Facebook page for EWG XC. It's focused on getting information out to parents in an easy, timely way. I believe that there is a Facebook app available for free for both iOS and Android phones. There isn't much on the page yet, but if you click on the "LEARN MORE" button, it will take you to the Google Calendar which gives you information about every practice, meet, day, date, time. Also, if you click on an event in the Google Calendar, often you can click on the meet location and get directions to the away meet through Google Maps.
- Over the years, parents have often asked me about setting up a carpool for pick ups. I've struggled with how to do this and still maintain safety of our kids. I'm going to try to use http://carpool-kids.com to get a carpool exchange going with parents. If you send me your email (see my address above) I can send you and "invite" to join carpool-kids and then we can see if this site will work for us. On the site, I've set up a calendar of all practices and meets. From there, I think the way this works is that parents can arrange for rides. I could be wrong, but I can't test the site without some parent volunteers to try it. There is a phone app for iOS that is free. Android users can access the site from a web browser (Chrome). Once we get the site going, I will need feedback from parents as to how (or if) this is working out.
- If you live in the Mishnock area or Black Plain Road, we have an athlete who really needs a ride home after practices. If you can help out, please contact me at the email address above.
- NO practice today, Tuesday, September 13th. Coach has an all-day in-service workshop.
- Great news! The librarians will again be able to host our athletes after school in the jr/sr library. Please impress upon your child the need to focus on homework (I will strongly reinforce) and to be on one's best behavior.
- Each x-c team will need volunteers to help out at the finish line at the RI Middle School State meet on Saturday, 10/22/16. If you would like to volunteer to help out at the finish line that day, please see me after practice at some point during the season. I believe you'll need to have a background check before you can volunteer.
Please remember that before ANY athlete can participate in practice, s/he needs to turn in the following forms, completed, signed, and (where applicable) notarized:
1) RIPCOA Risk form (good for grades 7 & 8). If your child turned in a risk form last year in grade 7, you do not need to fill out this form again. This form must be notarized. There are people in the administration building who can notarize for you.
2) Physical form: Physical must be current, must clear the student for participation in athletics.
3) Concussion awareness: Form must be signed and turned in.
4) EWG Sports Handbook: Page must be signed and turn in.
5) School insurance: You MUST enroll in school insurance, even if you already have coverage.
Again, no student will be allowed to come to practice until all forms are turned in.
LAST WEEK OF X-COUNTRY 2016: SCHEDULE:
-Monday, 10/17- make-up meet vs. Wickford Middle School at Goddard Park @ 3:30.
-Tuesday, 10/18- Practice, 2:30-4:00pm
-Wednesday, 10/19- Practice, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
-Thursday, 10/20- Practice, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
-Friday- NO PRACTICE
-Saturday, 10/22- State Meet. Students arrive at jr hs no later than 7:30 am. Meet begins at Goddard Park at 9 a.m.
-IF rain on Saturday and meet is cancelled (see Jr. High website and Facebook page morning of the meet) then the meet will be held:
-Sunday, 10/23.-Students will meet at jr hs no later than 10:30 a.m. Races begin at noon.
-Monday, 10/24- annual team pizza party in Mr. Hamlin's room (S-201). Pizza party is from 2:00-2:45.