Makeup class: Friday May 23
2pm CalIT2 Room 3004
This course covers the structure, operation and microwave characteristics of transistors fabricated with advanced materials such as SiGe, GaN, InGaAs and graphene. "Bandgap engineering" - or how to optimize critical parts of the device by semiconductor and structure choices - is a central part of the course, along with the relationship between transistor structure and microwave characteristics. SiGe and GaAs HBTs, and GaN FETs for high power microwave applications will be covered in detail. Several device and circuit simulation tools will be used.
HSS 1128 B
ECE230B or equivalent
Topics to be covered :
1) Review of FET and bipolar transistor operation
2) Materials choices for semiconductor devices: opportunities and constraints
3) Heterostructure FET characteristics: channel charge, Id-Vds
4) HFET limits: breakdown and what to do about it
5) HFET microwave characteristics: ft, fmax, modeling issues
6) GaN devices: physics, issues and microwave performance
7) HBT I-V curves
8) Structure and fabrication of SiGe and of GaAs/InP HBTs
9) HBT breakdown, thermal runaway and other concerns
10) HBT microwave performance
11) Comparison of models, noise, power, linearity of HFETs and HBTs
12) Future directions for microwave transistor research
Prof. Peter Asbeck
See file cabinet
See file cabinet
Access to UCSD Software
ACMS provides a variety of software tools that will be of interest for ECE236c. These include:
Silvaco software for the physics-based simulation of device characteristics, as well as of device processing steps. Programs include deckbuild to set up simulations, atlas for device characteristics, athena for process simulation, tonyplot for visualization.
Agilent's ADS software for circuit simulation.
For these tools, login to ieng6-640.edu using ssh (for example, putty) using your student account
Type prep ee236c so that your path will be extended to include the software tools.
To use things on your personal computer, you should sign in using a vncviewer.
To do this, set up a viewer on your computer (such as can be downloaded from RealVNC)
When logged into ieng6, typde vncgnome, and a session will be set up for you.
For more directions on how to set up vnc sessions, visit
To start ADS, type ads -c $AGILEESOFD
in order to set up the license file.