Endothelial glycocalyx: http://lifeinthefastlane.com/education/ccc/glycocalyx-in-critical-illness/
1. Jones AE, Shapiro NI, et al.; Emergency Medicine Shock Research Network (EMShockNet) Investigators. Lactate clearance vs central venous oxygen saturation as goals of early sepsis therapy: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2010 Feb;303(8):739-46.
1. Brennan JM, Blair JE, et al. A comparison by medicine residents of physical examination versus hand?carried ultrasound for estimation of right atrial pressure. Am J Cardiol. 2007 Jun;99(11):1614-6. Epub 2007 Apr 18.
2. Brennan JM, Ronan A, et al. Handcarried ultrasound measurement of the inferior vena cava for assessment of intravascular volume status in the outpatient hemodialysis clinic. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006 Jul;1(4):749-53. Epub 2006 May 24.
6. Nagdev AD, Merchant RC, et al. Emergency department bedside ultrasonographic measurement of the caval index for noninvasive determination of low central venous pressure. Ann Emerg Med. 2010 Mar;55(3):290-5. Epub 2009 Jun 25.
7. Weekes A., Tassone H., Tayal V.S. et al. 233: The Sonodynamic Study: Comparison of Qualitative Versus Quantitative Assessment and Inter-Rater Reliability In Serial Ultrasonography Evaluations of Inferior Vena Cava Dynamics and Left Ventricular Systolic Function In Fluid Resuscitation of Emergency Department Patients With Symptomatic Hypotension. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2010 Sept: 56(3), Supplement , Page S77.
8. Yanagawa, Youichi; Sakamoto, Toshihisa; Okada, Yoshiaki. Hypovolemic Shock Evaluated by Sonographic Measurement of the Inferior Vena Cava During Resuscitation in Trauma Patients. Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 2007 Dec. 63(6):1245?1248.
1. Jansen TC, van Bommel J, et al for the LACTATE study group. Early lactate-guided therapy in Intensive Care Unit patients: A multicenter, open-label, randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Sept;182(6): 752-761
1. Kumar A, Roberts D, et al. Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock. Crit Care Med. 2006 Jun;34(6):1589-96.
1. Carlbom DJ, Rubenfeld GD. Barriers to implementing protocol-based sepsis resuscitation in the emergency department: results of a national survey. Crit Care Med. 2007 Nov; 35(11):2525-32.
2. Mikkelsen ME, Gaieski DF, et al. Factors associated with nonadherence to early goaldirected therapy in the ED. Chest. 2010 Sep;138(3):551-8. Epub 2010 Feb 19.
Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines
1. Rady MY, Rivers EP, Nowak RM. Resuscitation of the critically ill in the ED: responses of blood pressure, heart rate, shock index, central venous oxygen saturation, and lactate. Am J Emerg Med. 1996 Mar; 14(2):218-25.