MinecraftEdu is an officially-supported version of Minecraft for authorized educational users. MinecraftEdu comes pre-installed with Minecraft Forge and does not require the steps needed to install Forge on a standard Minecraft installation.
These instructions assume you have already purchased, downloaded and installed MinecraftEdu. To install the qCraft mod, you will need an Internet connection and the qCraft mod. This tutorial also assumes that you have Java installed.
It also recommended that you use the latest version of the Google Chrome browser.
1. Double click on the MinecraftEdu Launcher icon to start MinecraftEdu.
2. Wait for the launcher to load and display the main menu. At the very bottom of the main menu screen, you will see a line of text that displays your MinecraftEdu version number. If that number begins with 1.5.2, close the MinecraftEdu Launcher and skip to step 7. If it begins with something other than 1.5.2, click the 'Updates' button and continue to step 3.
3. On the screen that appears, you will see a dropdown list called 'Select version to update to.' In this list, select '1.5.2 development build 1'. Enter your MinecraftEdu username and password and click the 'Update' button. Wait for the download to complete.
4. You will see a screen that asks you to select which packs to install. The MinecraftEdu Launcher is required. Select the Server Tool if you would like. You may also change the installation path if you wish. When done, click 'Continue.'
5. If you are installing over a previous MinecraftEdu installation in the same location, you will be asked if you want to backup your old installation. Creating a backup is not required but you can if you want. Make a choice, backup if desired and then wait for the installation to complete and click 'Continue.'
6. Select 'Close Installer' from the final screen.
7. Now we actually need to download the mod itself. Download the mod from the downloads page and save it to your desktop.
8. We now need to put the mod into your MinecraftEdu mods folder. To do this, you will need to know the directory for your MinecraftEdu installation. On Macs, this is typically Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/MinecraftEdu. On Windows, the easiest way to get there is to go to the Start Menu, select 'Run' and type in '%appdata%\minecraftedu\'.
9. Under your MinecraftEdu folder, navigate to the 'minecraft' subfolder. Under there you will see a folder called 'mods'. Copy the zip file you downloaded in step 7 into this folder. DO NOT unzip the file.
10. If you have installed the MinecraftEdu Server Tool and intend to run a server using the mod, navigate back up to the MinecraftEdu folder you found in Step 8 and under it navigate to the servertool\server\mods subfolder. Place a copy of the zip file you downloaded in Step 7 in this folder as well. If you didn't install the Server Tool or don't want to run a server using the mod using this computer, you can skip to Step 11.
11. To confirm your installation, start the MinecraftEdu launcher as you did in Step 1. Select 'Start MinecraftEdu' from the main menu, and 'MinecraftEdu' as the login mode from the next screen. Wait for MinecraftEdu to load. Enter a name and select a gender, then click 'Continue'. On the game menu, Click the 'Mods' button.
12. On the next screen, you'll see a list of installed mods. If your installation was successful, you should see qCraft on the list.
13. Click 'Done' to return to game menu.