Information from ELCA Research and Evaluation
Southeastern Synod Global Missions- Homepage
What does the Southeastern Synod do?
“The synod” is not just the synod office located at 100 Edgewood Avenue in Atlanta. “The synod” is everyone in all of congregations in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee.
It is all of our committees, task forces and ministry teams. The Southeastern Synod is all of us walking together and working to live the Great Commission in this multicultural mission field. Our synod
- provides support for congregations by
- guiding congregations in transition as they set goals and enter the process of calling a pastor or rostered lay person
- overseeing Candidacy: helping candidates to discern their call to rostered lay or ordained ministry; shepherding candidates through psychological evaluation and career counseling, an annual retreat, ongoing spiritual support and mentoring
- coordinating Disaster Response efforts between local congregations and national church agencies
- organizing and supporting new and other mission congregations
- providing consultants in evangelism, stewardship, ecumenical issues, planned giving, conflict management, leadership development, and other areas
- provides support for leaders, both lay and rostered, by providing resources including: Annual Professional Leadership Convocation, First Call Theological Education, Compensation Guidelines and Leadership Sexual Abuse Prevention training and resources.
- promotes opportunities for youth and their leaders through synod youth events
- provides synod and churchwide communications
- plans and produces special events such as the Synod Assembly
- provides opportunities for individuals, groups and congregations to give ongoing support for ministries in the Southeastern Synod.
Through MISSION SUPPORT (benevolence) the Southeastern Synod continues to support ELCA national and global ministries such as:
- Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) a nationally acclaimed ministry of the ELCA and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod;
- ELCA Global Mission, the channel through which the ELCA expresses itself in mission throughout the world;
- ELCA Evangelical Outreach and Congregational Mission, providing funds to synods for ministries that support congregations in their call to be faithful, welcoming, and generous. It assists congregations, synods, and institutions and agencies of this church to grow in evangelical outreach;
- Theological seminaries and more than a dozen continuing education centers;
- Lutheran colleges and universities;
- Lutheran campus ministries;
- outdoor and camping ministries;
- Lutheran Services in America (LSA), the largest private charity in the United States and a network of institutions and agencies across the country.
- Lutheran World Relief internationally known for its global response to persons and nations who have suffered from national disasters and emergencies;
- Our ecumenical ministries, including our full communion partners: The Episcopal Church USA, The Presbyterian Church USA, The Reformed Church in America, The United Church of Christ, The Moravian Church in North America, The Lutheran World Federation, The National Council of Churches in the USA, and The World Council of Churches; and the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.