Do you want to help people? Human Development is a broad area that can lead to a wide array of career opportunities in the helping professions working directly with people. Students will explore the psychological, social, cultural, and biological development of humans from conception to old age, focusing on the processes and mechanisms of growth and change over the life course.
The Human Development major includes study of a wide range of issues including the role of the family, neighborhood, workplace, and culture on development and the influence that developing humans have on their environment. The Human Development major provides skills valued by employers and an excellent basis for careers in child, elder, or family advocacy, counseling, social work and education, healthcare or medicine, law, business and excellent preparation for Master’s or Doctorate level graduate work.
Because the major leads to a wide array of careers you can find information about careers in Human Development by following these links based on your personal interests:
- If you would like to help people resolve personal, social, or psychological problems and difficulties or are interested in Creative Arts Therapy, see What I Can Do With This Major: Counseling
- If you find yourself drawn to improving the quality of life and well-being of individuals, families, couples, groups, or communities explore What Can I Do With This Major: Social Work.
- If you are interested in working with children in some capacity see What I Can Do With This Major: Child and Family Studies
- If you have an interest in the social, psychological, cognitive, or biological aspects of the process of aging, also known as the field of Gerontology, you should visit Exploring Careers in Aging.
- If you have an interest in addressing the relationship between culture and health, review What Can I Do With This Major: Public Health.
- If you are interested in the areas of leadership, administration, and management of recreation, parks, and leisure services in public, private, civic, and social agencies, you should explore the job possibilities at What Can I Do With Whis Major: Recreation and Leisure Studies?
- If applying your knowledge of human development to the nonprofit or business world appeals to you, you may find helpful information by exploring What Can I Do With This Major: Human Resource Management.