Starting in the 2016-17 School Year, we will start implementing the "Next Generation Science Standards". Below are the draft Model Curriculum Outlines. Additional information on the New Jersey Model Science Curriculum may be found at: http://www.nj.gov/education/modelcurriculum/sci/
Get to know the Standards and K-6 Science outlines
For 6th grade visit: http://www.nextgenscience.org/overview-dci (middle school) GRADE 6 SCIENCE OUTLINE
The following Next Generation improvements to how science is taught and learned are being pursued now, without having to make any changes to what science concepts are taught at each grade level:
- A “3-dimensional” view of what it means to know science: Knowing facts alone is insufficient as an indicator of science understanding, just as decoding words is an insufficient indicator of literary understanding. Next Gen science students will use Science and Engineering Practices to develop and demonstrate understanding of core science ideas and crosscutting concepts;
- A greater emphasis on the “sensemaking” science practices -- such as argumentation, explanation, and modeling -- as the culmination of other classroom experiences (e.g., posing questions, carrying out investigations, analyzing and interpreting data, etc.) that help students develop, evaluate and refine models that explain core ideas and phenomena;
- Increased teacher facilitation of “productive” discourse (oral and written) that engages students in refining investigation questions, comparing possible interpretations of findings, critiquing and challenging explanatory models by evaluating them against evidence;
- The inclusion of engineering design concepts and skills in science curricula to help students see how science and engineering are interrelated and are relevant to addressing real world challenges;
- The integration of explicit instruction in crosscutting concepts and the nature of science;
- Structured opportunities to learn, reinforce and use New Jersey Student Learning Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) and New Jersey Student Learning Standards for Mathematics in service of building science knowledge, reasoning, and analytical skills.
Introduction to the New Jersey Student Learning Standards Videos
These videos present an overview of key innovations in the New Jersey Student Learning Standards (NJSLS) and a deeper dive into each of the three dimensions of the NGSS. The videos are intended to help educators and parents become familiar with the three dimensions of the NGSS and how they will benefit students.