To the East Haven Public School Family:
This year will mark the beginning of transformation as we begin to take initiative and act upon our mission of "providing a variety of learning experiences and a rigorous comprehensive education in a safe and nurturing environment preparing our young people to be both college and career ready."
What does this mean for our District?
- Embedding Common Core State Standards in our English Language Arts and Mathematics classes, as well as across other content areas;
- Using a variety of ‘effective’ instructional practices to help our students master these standards;
- Improving the rigor of our academic courses at all levels;
- Focusing on reading and mathematics at the elementary level;
- Building the STEM Program and Visual and Performing Arts Program from Pre-K to 12
- Challenging our students to think critically, problem-solve, and to communicate their thinking in a variety of ways by providing numerous opportunities across the content areas.
- Creating a "safe" environment where students feel connected, valued for their diversity, and seen as a positive contributor to the school community.
This comes with "us" working together for the "good" of the whole. Let's change the image of East Haven Public Schools as a place where academic rigor, critical thinking and high expectation is the culture.
I whole-heartedly believe that anything can be achieved if we put our minds to it. Believe with me.
Dr. Portia S. Bonner
Superintendent of Schools