Financial Aid Information

East Haven HS Guidance Department hosts a Financial Aid Information Night once each year, usually in November. Check back here for exact date and time.

The two primary means for accessing financial aid for college are by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and the CSS Profile (through College Board). Some colleges require both. Check with your college's Financial Aid Office for specific deadlines.

Need help completing or understanding the FAFSA?

Click logo above for direct link to the FAFSA website

The FAFSA website also has a line by line guide on how to complete the application. Apply for your PIN at

Many private colleges require you to complete the CSS Profile in addition to the FAFSA. For more information and to complete the CSS Profile, see the College Board website.

Contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.

Use the Loan Analyzer at as a tool to compare loan options

Scholarship Info Link:


The term "financial aid" is a broad term generally used to indicate money provided by a third party to help students meet the costs of attending college. Financial aid can be provided by various agencies including federal, state and local governments; universities; community organizations; and, private corporations or individuals. The four types of financial aid are grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study.

GRANTS... financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Generally, grants are for undergraduate students and the grant amount is based on need, school cost, and/or enrollment status.

SCHOLARSHIP... scholarships do not have to be repaid. Scholarships come from many different places including national, state, public and private sources. Scholarship money can be awarded based on a variety of different factors such as financial need, academic or athletic achievement, program of study, and background. Every scholarship has its own set of criteria.

LOANS... borrowed money that must be repaid with interest. Both undergraduate and graduate students may borrow money. Parents may also borrow to pay education expenses for dependent undergraduate students. Maximum loan amounts increase with each year of completed study. Often times, repayment is deferred until after graduation, withdrawal, or termination of attendance.

WORK-STUDY... money for education expenses paid by the school for on-campus or community-based employment.



There was a press conference Feb. 16 to launch – a web portal for Connecticut students and parents to find out how to plan, save and pay for college. The site provides information from five State agencies supporting students and their families: the Connecticut Higher Education Trust (CHET), the Connecticut Higher Education Supplemental Loan Authority (CHESLA), the Office of Higher Education, the Department of Banking, and the Department of Consumer Protection. There is also a Financial Literacy platform on the site that covers Paying for School, Managing Money, and Finding a Career.