Pork, Fennel and Onion Poutine
1 pound pork tenderloins, trimmed
1 large yellow onion, diced, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3 cups water, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium fennel bulb, diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon sour cream
27 ounces Alexia House Cut Julienne Fries with Sea Salt, baked
1. Place the pork tenderloins and half of the diced onions into the slow cooker.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, oregano, sage, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, black pepper and 2 cups of the water. Pour mixture over the pork, cover and turn the slow cooker to high for a four hour cook time. Turn the meat over every hour to ensure all sides are cooked. Shred the meat with two forks once done.
3. As the meat cooks, place the butter in a wide pan over medium high heat. Once melted, add the fennel and remaining diced onion. Cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened and begun to turn translucent.
4. Add the apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce to a very low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45-50 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by three-fourths. Remove from heat. Cover and set aside, or chill until ready to serve.
5. For the topping, whisk together the cream cheese, heavy cream and sour cream. Cover and set aside, or chill until ready to serve.
6. Before serving the meat, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup water and cornstarch. Once combined, stir into the pork in the slow cooker and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, approximately 5 minutes.
7. To serve, top cooked fries with pulled pork, sweetened fennel and onions and a dollop of the cream sauce. Serve immediately.