We Grow Thinkers Who Embrace Challenge
Students who embrace challenge learn to value the learning process regardless of their ability to get the right answer or to produce a desired product. When coupled with a growth mindset, students who see challenge in a positive light:
- Enjoy learning
- Don't stress about being perfect
- Act with confidence
- Are less anxious and don't fixate over problems and challenges
- Take responsibility for their actions and decisions
- See single events as just that and realize that challenge doesn't define them as a learner
- Are resilient
- Use challenge as form of feedback
- Avoid feelings of superiority and see the success of others as inspiration and a source of learning
Why is this practice important to a culture of thinking?
Students who embrace challenge learn to value all aspects of the learning process regardless of the outcome or their ability to get the right answer.
- Convinces students they can succeed
- Helps students assume ownership of learning
- Supports students in realizing their potential
- Encourages students to stretch their knowledge
- Develops a growth mindset in students
- Teaches students to develop and demonstrate effective coping skills
What does this look like in our classrooms?
We create a rigorous learning environment that embraces challenge when we:
- Give students opportunities to fail and build on their new understandings
- Ask complex questions and pause for reflection from students
- Provide challenge within a nurturing classroom setting
- Model process oriented feedback for students and give them the reflective language they need to provide feedback to their peers
- Validate student thinking and ask for elaboration
- Model independent learning
- Allow think time
- Build in self-reflection time so students can consider how they worked through challenges
How do we work collaboratively to build a culture around these practices?
As a district, we are committed to a schoolwide culture that seeks opportunities to provide all students with challenge in their learning. We actively seek opportunities to work collaboratively as a staff and engage in ongoing dialogue regarding the instructional experiences we provide for our students. We celebrate individual learners by encouraging students to embrace challenge and to see it as a form of feedback in regards to their progress in reaching their individual learning goals.